Wood finish enclosures

Started by jez79, November 10, 2015, 09:19:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluebunny

Stunning pedal, mate.  Nice story, too.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

duck_arse

thanks, Marc, the nephews are arguing as to "who should get it" now.

looking for a photo of the actual tree in action, I found more about dad's uses of. the thick scabby bark peels off in a sheet, and he was shaping it with some plactic'd wire to make stag horn holders. which he hung all around the house. now only one left.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

GiovannyS10

Quote from: duck_arse on June 08, 2017, 10:53:42 AM
back when we moved into this house in the 60's, there was a gum tree growing in the chook-yard, which blew down (the tree, not the chook house) in a storm sometime early 80's. it seems my old man had select logs "run through a saw", which were then left under the house to season, for what future use I don't know.

skip ahead to late last year, my sister is looking for woody things to throw out before the termites can eat them, and she finds the last usable sized log under the house. which I then rescue, saying you can't chuck that, I'll build something from it.

so I did - a Bosstone fuzz, Nashville version. here it is (sitting on the planks it was cut from), a chunk of gum stuck in a cut-down Horwood aluminium extrusion, oiled with turps and linseed, airbrushed w/ acrylics, styled by Larry and Mike of the "second style council". (undetectably wedged in three different places) it came out looking ok, if somewhat unspectacular, even sounds pretty good. if I was paid per fcuk-up, I'd be rich just from this one build.

those wishing to see the guts mess and some more pics can follow through to the imgur page.

http://imgur.com/a/o165x
Hey old Duck! Pretty build! Beautiful, really awesome!
That's all, Folks!

"Are you on drugs?"
-ARSE, Duck.

www.instagram.com/allecto

Kipper4

I see.
That is nice Stephen.
Love it.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

duck_arse

thanks, kipper, and gio awesome.

pgorey

That is a stunningly clean build!  Great job.  The attention to detail is spectacular.

duck_arse

"what's the delay?" I hear you all scream. well it's the soffit, seeing as you asked. actually Merlin's small-time, but seeing as my slanty bend actually has a soffit, I called it "soffit".

I didn't even know what a soffit was until Sir Mike told me about them, and now I have one. the wood panels impart no acoustic properties, they cover the ends, glued on.

special thanks to the now disbanded first style council, who chose the brown over the green. oh, well, better luck next time fellas. extra special thanks to cozy, for the extra small parts, which took away my excuse for not being able to do it. now I have done it, I won't need to do it again.

and the delay pot works the correct way, turn clockwise equals longer delay. well, that's what I tell myself, anyway.

more picture, including the innards in progress, in the bukket:

http://imgur.com/a/841eP

[edit :] happy birthday Sir Mike.

vigilante397

Good looking work Mr. Duck. I had heard of soffitts before but until your post I had no idea how to spell it :P
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

thermionix

It's like a little bed for your knobs and such.  Wooden headboard and footboard, with a nice plush comforter.  Got a little 3-knob action going, and I think the footswitch just likes to watch.

EBK

Working on my first wooden pedal, in cherry:

Definitely taking extra time and being extra careful with measuring and drilling because "wood filler to the rescue!" would be such a terrible fate.  Just one hole so far.  This will eventually be my Theremin fuzz build.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

vigilante397

Quote from: EBK on February 17, 2018, 07:56:27 AM

Is that a build from scratch? Or is there a place that sells pedal-sized wooden enclosures that nobody told me about? Looks amazing either way 8)
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

EBK

Quote from: vigilante397 on February 17, 2018, 01:05:30 PM
Is that a build from scratch? Or is there a place that sells pedal-sized wooden enclosures that nobody told me about? Looks amazing either way 8)
That box is available thanks to those DIY vaping people using the same size enclosures as we do.  I bought it from berkshireboxmods.com.  In addition to cherry, they also have mahogany and walnut/oak, all in "B" and "G" sizes.  Very nicely made with a CNC machine of some sort.  The lid fits snugly and seamlessly.  If you buy one, make sure you remember to add the magnets to your cart (no screws).  I'm quite happy with this one.
  • SUPPORTER

vigilante397

Quote from: EBK on February 17, 2018, 02:24:34 PM
That box is available

Damn, I was really hoping it would be a scratch build so I had an excuse not to buy a dozen of them and re-box all of the pedals on my board into tasty wood boxes :( Oh well, here comes the credit card...
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

duck_arse

here we have the Don Burke All Stars, my overwrought magnavibe-a-like. wood is from our chookyard gum.

it has dual range osc w/ mosfet pso, 3 position Lyman switch, jfet phase section, and gain make-up stage.

I asked my customer, an ex-pat murcan, 'which of these to cover a swirly pedal', and he said "...Green Stars, like Don Burke before the sexual harassment accusations, look like the dark side of an American movement." hence the green and the name. he also chose a purple knob, so the black one is now gone.

the star-hole (a bit like Don) is dual purpose indicator, flashes red at osc rate, then adds white when in un-bypass.

anyone interested in guts or circuit dias or cats can look here:
https://imgur.com/a/AE9uo

[edit :] oh, and if anyone ever sees me doing another 1590A-a-like bendy, get a gun, and shoot me.

287m

NOOOOO!

We cant shoot you, cause we play guitar, not Nintendo Duck Hunt.

So that baby not wrapped in paper anymore then?

duck_arse

the paper has to come off at some stage, febri, otherwise we'll never see the finish.

bluebunny

Quote from: duck_arse on April 06, 2018, 10:35:19 AM
anyone interested in guts . . . can look here:

I looked.  Kinnell.   :icon_eek:
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

thermionix

I looked too.  Pretty sure that smaller electro is supposed to be a Cheech.

EBK

I'm declaring this Theremin fuzz done.  If I don't, I am afraid that it will be the only pedal I build all year.
  • SUPPORTER

stallik

Nice one Eric. The led surround works well and I like the chrome 9v socket
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein