Wood finish enclosures

Started by jez79, November 10, 2015, 09:19:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thermionix

Are those washers touching, at the DC and output jacks?  Cuz if they are, well it could matter...

When do we get a sound clip?  I don't know what a theremin fuzz is.

EBK

Quote from: thermionix on April 11, 2018, 06:26:40 PM
Are those washers touching, at the DC and output jacks?  Cuz if they are, well it could matter...

When do we get a sound clip?  I don't know what a theremin fuzz is.
The washers are carefully not touching.  :icon_wink:  I also had to carefully remove some of my copper shielding to accommodate.

As for sound, I'll take a shortcut and point you to Freppo's demo (the circuit is his design):

This circuit is definitely more on the "fun" end of the fun-useful spectrum.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

thermionix

Wild.  Now I'm wondering how much of the weee-uuuuu-weee-uuuu is being controlled by the guitar, and how much is oscillations in the pedal circuitry or whatever.

EBK

It's pretty much all in the pedal, but it takes some time to get the feel of it (which means some of the control is in the guitar too, I suppose). As you change pitch, the circuit reacts in a semi-sluggish way, trying to track the frequency (it is PLL-based).  There is a lot of overshoot and ripple in the oscillator frequency as it tracks, which gives it that sort of slurring vibrato effect.  As the note rings out, eventually the oscillator frequency will return to zero and go silent (like a gating effect).
  • SUPPORTER

duck_arse

now it's my turn to say "I didn't think you were serious" when you said 'huge hole filling DC jack' in another thread, cause I see you found one. it's a nice looking thing*.

* [something about knobs - edited out]
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

vigilante397

Quote from: EBK on April 11, 2018, 06:34:07 PM
This circuit is definitely more on the "fun" end of the fun-useful spectrum.

As are several of Freppo's designs :P Nothing wrong with that though. I showed my Into the Unknown to a friend once and his response was "I don't know when I would ever use this onstage, but I still feel like I could play with this for hours and never get sick of it."
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

EBK

Quote from: duck_arse on April 12, 2018, 11:04:38 AM
now it's my turn to say "I didn't think you were serious" when you said 'huge hole filling DC jack' in another thread, cause I see you found one. it's a nice looking thing*.

* [something about knobs - edited out]
I still had to add a washer to that jack to make it work, but, yeah, it was a lucky find. 

On the subject of knobs, I was dangerously close to spending over $40 on two knobs for this pedal.  :icon_eek: :icon_biggrin:  Spend enough time looking at this guy's page, and you'll soon be ready to buy expensive knobs too (and be sure to look at the customization options): http://www.dknob.com/index.html

• SUPPORTER

vigilante397

Quote from: EBK on April 12, 2018, 12:12:26 PM
http://www.dknob.com/index.html

Holy hell :icon_eek: I mean they look great, I'm a big fan of the burls, and I've always been a sucker for zebrawood. But holy hell :icon_eek:
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

thermionix

Quote from: vigilante397 on April 12, 2018, 11:13:33 AM
"I don't know when I would ever use this onstage, but I still feel like I could play with this for hours and never get sick of it."

That's how I feel about an old MicroMoog, or a Fuzz Factory.  Not 100% useful, but fun as hell to play with.  Even more so after a couple of Duck's electros.  (Slab of Vic will get you nowhere)

vigilante397

I have one very usable setting (stab=10, gain=6, comp=6, volume=wherever, then turn up the gate until right where the oscillating stops) I like on the fuzz factory and I never adjust it ever, but I would generally agree.
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

thermionix

Seems the FF has a trillion sounds.  Some are bad, many are awesome.  Bad part for me is once I find something really cool, it's pretty difficult to find again later.  Sometimes it's fun just to turn the knobs while someone else is playing through it.

duck_arse

Quote from: thermionix on April 12, 2018, 02:36:07 PM
Quote from: vigilante397 on April 12, 2018, 11:13:33 AM
"I don't know when I would ever use this onstage, but I still feel like I could play with this for hours and never get sick of it."

That's how I feel about an old MicroMoog, or a Fuzz Factory.  Not 100% useful, but fun as hell to play with.  Even more so after a couple of Duck's electros.  (Slab of Vic will get you nowhere)

get me nowhere? we are talking bogans here, therm, Vic is more than enough.

I highly recommend everyone watch this clip. all my cobbers will get all the references contained, the rest of you might need to consult your Gregory's, or UBD, maybe a Metway. [and that is Sterlo on the right in the bus.]

https://youtu.be/pQuIPDgYnh8

thermionix

A paved track, Duck?  You city boys are missing 75% of the fun!

Dig the pedal steel though.  Very BR-549.

duck_arse

many of the finer points (mullets, 32's, dirt) are lost on us east of the district in question.

I'm glad you stayed with it to the pedal steel.

duck_arse

the dropbeers, my sub-octave. with prodding from Ben Lyman and circuit help from anotherjim. chookyard gum in a cut-up horwood extrusion. gain, fo and f/2 pots.

it took a few turns from in-my-mind to in-my-hand, but that's wood, innit. let's you think you know what you're doing just long enough to keep you interested.

and for those brave souls that like to dig deeper, see nuts, bolts, lookie heah:
https://imgur.com/a/uC0SI

[edit :] small a'd jim.

vigilante397

Quote from: duck_arse on May 16, 2018, 10:55:38 AM

My internet at work is being slow today but I just waited a solid three minutes for the like button to appear so I could like this. And damn, that cordwood layout. :icon_eek:
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

EBK

How did you create that arc around the stomp (is that one piece of wood, or did you stack two pieces)?
  • SUPPORTER

duck_arse

three minutes is too long, and I do often damn those layouts, believe me. and thanks for waiting.

one piece wood, thicknessed and curve/straights cut with the router. and sandpaper. first time I've used the pin-hole in the shoe.

I thought I'd posted pics of that cordboard build, but don't see them anywhere. he says this having deleted the originals from his drive this evening. back to imgur I go ....

bluebunny

Quote from: duck_arse on May 16, 2018, 10:55:38 AM

Strewth, mate!  How are us mortals supposed to keep up with that??   :icon_eek:
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

thermionix

Dat's real damn purdy, Huck!