Wood finish enclosures

Started by jez79, November 10, 2015, 09:19:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBK

Quote from: bluebunny on February 08, 2020, 06:07:36 AM
I'd also make sure the locking notch on the footswitch faces south, but let's not go there...   :icon_rolleyes:
Interesting.  I happen to be a North Notchian.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

duck_arse

how did you do the brickwork on this? also, a rundown on you wood types, please, and where did you find the stripey wood?

this one has given me a few ideas.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

bluebunny

Quote from: EBK on February 08, 2020, 06:53:21 AM
Interesting.  I happen to be a North Notchian.

Aaaaaaagh!!!   :o :o :o
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

rutabaga bob

Isn't that 'stripey wood' oak?  Hardwood flooring in houses is oak...
Life is just a series of obstacles preventing you from taking a nap...

"I can't resist a filter" - Kipper

willienillie

Storyboardist used oak.  But no oak in mtdelcon's builds.  His "stripes" are maple, walnut(?), and...mahogany?  The brick look could have been done with a router and stain, but the grains tell that these are individual blocks.

mtdelcon

sorry i've been offline for a few days.  crazy busy at work.
the three builds i posted use a combination of cherry, maple, and walnut.  I'm not sure which you mean by the stripey wood.
to build the brick pattern, i first glued up three strips of cherry (the first two 1" thick, the third 1/2"  thick) with two strips of maple (each 1/8" thick) in between (so 1" cherry, 1/8" maple, 1" cherry, 1/8" maple, 1/2" cherry).  when that dried, i cut it into 5/8" slices along its width for a total of 6 slices, and then glued it back together, but flipping every other slice 180 degrees and gluing new 1/8" strips of maple in between each slice.  it's easier to do than to explain, i suspect.  the only hard part, which isn't necessary, but gives a cool effect of the "mortar" being inset, is to cut all of your 1/8" maple slices a little narrower than the cherry, so when you stand things up to glue, the cherry pieces sit proud of the maple pieces.  just make sure you clean all the glue out of grooves made by the shorter maple pieces when the glue is wet cause you can't clean it out of the grooves (easily) after it's dried.
Let me know if that description is confusing.  thanks for taking such an interest!

duck_arse

Quote from: mtdelcon on February 11, 2020, 07:18:56 PM
I'm not sure which you mean by the stripey wood.

stripey wood, you know, like striped paint.

garyg

Quote from: EBK on February 07, 2020, 05:52:12 PM
Quote from: mtdelcon on February 07, 2020, 03:33:07 PM
... but do you use regular metal washers?  or the locking ones that come with the switch?  or something else?
I use thin metal washers.  I wouldn't use lock washers on the outside of an enclosure.

bluebunny is always watching.  :icon_eek: :icon_razz:

I like the rounded washers this guy on reddit (bluffchill, maybe here?) uses: https://www.reddit.com/r/diypedals/comments/dvp9qg/my_first_stab_at_a_classic_fuzz_face/

Just look classier than flat ones imo.

stallik

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

duck_arse

the bottlebrush my mother planted outside the kitchen window has been a half-rotten stump this last 20 years at least. then the brush turkey came and scratched all the dirt from the roots, and my sister said pull it out. so I did, but had to cut it in half - and it seemed there was enough wood left, well, you know what happens next.

the really cheap compressor, via cozybuilder and Ben Lyman.

the red bottlebrush Callistemon Endeavour is fairly ordinary looking brownish wood, but feels wonderful silky smooth when finished. easy to work, too.

sorry, no guts, but here is the early metalwork, showing the official fffactory okey dokey stamp, so you know it's good.

yes, jacaranda season again. also - it seems to me that by boosting the treble before compression, it increases the squash on the bass. mind, I have no use for a compressor, so it don't bother me.  and if I really keep at this glued cloth malarky, I might, one day, come up with a set of corners I'm happy with.

duck_arse

xmas cancelled = pedal finished.

here see why you don't just decide to wedge and slope, just because. this misshapen lump is the poppersmill, an overdrive akin to the ROG peppermill. I had all the parts while I was waiting for other parts, so I just built it.

still can't identify that wood, but it is polished with beeswax. obligatory guts follow.

and NSW christmas bush, as a seasonal nod. thank you for your attention.

ElectricDruid

Quote from: duck_arse on December 25, 2020, 08:10:34 AM

Dry clean only, presumably? Just planning now for when I spill beer on it.;)

EBK

• SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

bluebunny

xmas cancelled = pedal finished..

By that reckoning, I should have finished building a house or five during "cancelled" 2020.

Nice piece of work as always.  :icon_cool:
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

willienillie

an overdrive akin to the ROG peppermill

Next one in an actual peppermill, smd cordwood.

Quotethank you for your attention.

duck_arse

Quote from: ElectricDruid on December 25, 2020, 10:19:48 AM
Dry clean only, presumably? Just planning now for when I spill beer on it.;)

where'd you get the beers from? also, scotchguard has been applied in a probably futile effort to keep the white parts white. [I don't care once it's gorn, but.]

Quote from: EBK on December 25, 2020, 10:59:37 AM
SMDs on vero.  Nice.  :icon_cool:

was a moment of madness, but I was younger then. and it needed modifying.

and w/n - I've done one now, don't need another. overdrive? it just makes it louder.

Kipper4

Very nice Stephen. Love them.
Happy new year all. Lets hope 2021 is a better one
Rich
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

Toy Sun

Love the fabric wrap. I'm always trying new materials. Here is how I do wood...
This is a simple passive attenuator for double bass (I don't like to use a volume pedal, just like two levels, so I call this a "dim" - like studio monitor dimming)

duck_arse

yer a brave man recessing a knob like that - think of the run-out! extra points for the wood knob insert.

aleks_tedstone

This post inspired me to create a wooden shell for a 1590B, in which I housed a Phase 45 clone that some fine folk here helped me troubleshoot! Maybe I should have searched harder for a MXR-style knob, but I like the snazzy metallic centre of this one.