First Build - Question about power supply / offboard wiring.

Started by character__zero, November 30, 2015, 02:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

character__zero

This is my first build & my first time posting here (I apologize in advance if this is the wrong part of the forum to be asking this). I've completed my circuit for a ross clone. I want to do all of the offboard wiring and test it to see if it works, but I do not have a DC jack yet. Will the pedal work if I do all of the wiring with only a 9V battery plug and no DC jack? All of the off board wiring instructions I've come across involve a DC Jack. I'm very new to this and would appreciate any advice you can offer!! Thanks!

mcknib

Yes you can test it with a battery snap and battery only, just put your +9v wire and ground wire to their respective pads on the board

edit: and as Rich says make sure it's all correctly laid out before applying power you wouldn't want any mishaps with your CA3080

Kipper4

Hi Welcome to the forum.
Yer you should be fine hooking up a 9v battery to the power supply rails.
The Ross? Are we talking about a dyna comp compressor or a dod250 overdrive.
Its customary to add a link in your post, so we know what circuit your talking about. Sometime a layout will help too. Just incase anyone spots errors in the layout.

A bit more info would not go amiss mate but i woul think you would be fine.
Its a good idea before hooking up the power to check for solder bridges and misplaced or wrong value parts. Orientation of polarised caps etc, Just might save you some debugging time for future referance.

Good luck I hope you dont see blue smoke :)
Rich

Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

PBE6

As mcknib says, a battery will do the job of powering the circuit just fine. One thing you will want to watch out for is that most power supplies hum due to poor filtering of the converted DC signal, while batteries don't. The circuit may work fine with a battery, but hum like crazy with a DC supply. You can avoid the hum by adding a simple low-pass filter to the power section if you haven't added it already:
http://www.muzique.com/lab/hum.htm

A 100 ohm series resistor followed by a 100uF capacitor to ground will give you at least 12dB of 60 Hz hum reduction, which is probably just fine for a compressor circuit.

character__zero

Quote from: Kipper4 on November 30, 2015, 02:58:21 PM
Hi Welcome to the forum.
Yer you should be fine hooking up a 9v battery to the power supply rails.
The Ross? Are we talking about a dyna comp compressor or a dod250 overdrive.
Its customary to add a link in your post, so we know what circuit your talking about. Sometime a layout will help too. Just incase anyone spots errors in the layout.

A bit more info would not go amiss mate but i woul think you would be fine.
Its a good idea before hooking up the power to check for solder bridges and misplaced or wrong value parts. Orientation of polarised caps etc, Just might save you some debugging time for future referance.

Good luck I hope you dont see blue smoke :)
Rich

Should I include a picture of the circuit I built? Or just a link to the schematic?
I'm using the tonepad pcb for the Ross/DynaComp.
Sorry if I'm still being vague. I'm still learning the terminology of all of this stuff. I pretty much just know how to solder and am trying to learn as I go! :)

character__zero

Quote from: PBE6 on November 30, 2015, 03:07:10 PM
As mcknib says, a battery will do the job of powering the circuit just fine. One thing you will want to watch out for is that most power supplies hum due to poor filtering of the converted DC signal, while batteries don't. The circuit may work fine with a battery, but hum like crazy with a DC supply. You can avoid the hum by adding a simple low-pass filter to the power section if you haven't added it already:
http://www.muzique.com/lab/hum.htm

A 100 ohm series resistor followed by a 100uF capacitor to ground will give you at least 12dB of 60 Hz hum reduction, which is probably just fine for a compressor circuit.

Thanks for your feedback, and for the link!!
I don't really know what any of this means :)
I'll read up on it though and hopefully understand it better!

Kipper4

Your doing fine. I dont think theres any need now we know which circuit it is.
Its an abmitious build for a first one.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

character__zero

Quote from: mcknib on November 30, 2015, 02:51:27 PM
edit: and as Rich says make sure it's all correctly laid out before applying power you wouldn't want any mishaps with your CA3080

Quote from: Kipper4 on November 30, 2015, 02:58:21 PM

Ok I'll double check this stuff before I power it up. Is there a certain way to check this stuff other than just looking over it with a fine tooth comb? And thanks again!

character__zero

One more question regarding this!
I'm going to go off tonepad's off-board wiring instructions found here on page 5, using the 3PDT, and includes a DC Jack... http://www.tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=76

It looks to me in this diagram that the DC Jack is grounded to the input jack, and then the battery snap is connected to the DC Jack.
Since I will only be using a battery snap, what parts will I need to connect the red wire on the battery snap to? Will it need to be connected to the input jack, the 9V+ on the PCB, & the switch?

PBE6

The off board wiring diagram shows the common method of using the input jack (tip-ring-sleeve) as a switch. A mono 1/4" plug will make a connection between the ring and the sleeve, allowing battery power to flow only when the input jack is plugged in. If you've got it all wired up already, great! If not, make sure you do the following when testing:

1. Connect the + terminal on the battery to the 9V+ on the PCB.

2. Connect the - terminal on the battery to ground on the PCB.

3. Connect the sleeve on both the input and output jacks to ground on the PCB. Alternately, connect one sleeve to ground on the PCB and then connect both sleeves together.

Don't forget step 3! I always used to forget about that and it drove me nuts trying to figure out why the circuit wasn't working...

(On a side note, the sleeves of both jacks will be connected to each other through contact with the aluminum casing, so only one needs to be connected to ground on the PCB. Works great as long as the jacks don't come loose, so screw them in firmly!)