Cornish TB-83 Treble Booster?

Started by nickbungus, December 21, 2015, 04:47:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sopapo

The power filter cap wont have any effect on the sound whatever value it have, and the cap on the emiter of the tranny its suspicious to be 100 u, i think its not the most critical...
Nick, the cornish booster do you have, it has pot? Where is attached??

sopapo

Ok, thanks. I will do it with a pot. Time to figure if go by the route of a 10 k pot instead of rhe 6k8 or a 50k  pot instead of the 47 k resistor..

rankot

• SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

nickbungus

1n

I'm also happy that the electrolytics are 100uF and 47uF.   
To the extreme, I rock a mic like a vandal.
Light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.

sopapo

100 uf for the power caq filter and 47 for the emiter one?

nickbungus

Yes.  I bought some axial ones and sizes seemed to match what I took off.  Perhaps I'd damaged the originals slightly during the removal of the epoxy.

I've got some images that need a bit if tidying (a layout and the schematic)

sopapo

ok, great¡¡ its look like you already have it almost nailed.
So in the end, the cap at the emitter it musnt be critical, because some post below you toll us that you try it with 100 instead of 47uf and sounded identical...

maynut

Hi Nick,
Sorry I was trying to understand this thread, (well done getting hold of the Cornish by the way) but, have you uncovered the components, or are these details being deduced from Covington's pedal you had before? Thanks!

nickbungus

Yeah I've got it.  I'll post the schematic tomorrow as it's on my work pc

maynut

Ooh interesting! Excellent, looking forward to this! Time to get the soldering iron out...

nickbungus

Here you go!!!  The most underwhelming experience after spending so much time scrapping off all the epoxy.

maynut

Thanks for this Nick, good work.  Believe me, your efforts have not been wasted - finally, the actual Cornish circuit for all to see.  It may not be surprising or unexpected, but we know for sure now!
Thanks!

nickbungus

The led clr resistor(r1) was obviously added by me and not present and the tranny was a BC549c.  I've built a few replacing the R11 with a 10k pot, wiper to c6 and it worked
really well.  I'll assume the Extra did this.

maynut

Excellent!
Do you have a pic of the components on the board?
No worries if not, just would be cool to have a look at Mr Cornish's work 8)

nickbungus

You'll need to mirror before etching.  C7 and R10 were actually the other way round on the board

Heres a rough translation of the board.  It uses axial caps for the electrolytics. 

maynut

Great work Nick, thanks again for this!

maynut

Yes so it turns out that the link posted previously in this thread, pointing to Fryer's website, with a schematic for a "TB-83-ish" (part of the 3-in-1 booster), is in fact an actual TB-83

nickbungus

Yes it was correct but we didnt know for sure.  Now we do!

maynut