Would someone mind running an eye over my simple Eagle schematic and layout?

Started by chumbox, December 23, 2015, 08:43:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chumbox

Hey All

Had a great string of help on here in the past with my pedal building, especially vero and for a new challenge, I have been teaching myself Eagle.  The problem is my first two boards didn't work and cannot see why.  This is my third attempt and thought someone with a trusty eye may be able to spot something on here that i cannot before I send it off.

I used a simple schematic, an EQD Speaker Cranker, to learn the ropes.  Blue is my GND polygon, the red polygon is named +9V.  Thanks in advance for any advice.  :D

antonis

Maybe a dual layer PCB for this degree of complicated circuit is just an overkill... :icon_redface:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

duck_arse

as my northern hemisphere friend suggest, start w/ single layer.

if I'm reading yr board right, it seems D1 connects both ends to "red", which won't work. C3 the same.  run the R4 trace to R8 first, then branch off to C2. move C1 up to straighten that trace across. invert D2, hang it directly under D4, and that whole trace will clean up. turn R2 90 degrees, and shift it above Q1. please. C1 and R1 will then be side by side and much easier.

and I think you need a cap (and then a pulldown resistor) between the clipping diodes and the outside world, but don't quote me on that.
don't make me draw another line.

mth5044

Duck - D1 and C3 look to habe each pin connected to a different color thermal, rather than both red. Looks like one end goes to V+ and the other ground for both components. If eagle says there are no more airwaves and no errors, then you are good.

The layout, on the other hand, needs work. Duck gave a lot of good hints. The best trace is the shortest trace and you have a lot of traces that dilly dally rather thanks where they need to. I'd also put your components closer together. Resistors and diodes can be right next to each other on a 0.1" grid. You can also flip the gain pot to the other side, make the trace to pin 3 way shorter.

This will make the board smaller. Smaller = cheaper.

chumbox

Seriously thank you all of you for the advice. All makes great sense and gives me new things to work off.  :icon_smile: