First Pedal Problem: No Sound from Fuzz Dog's Axis Fuzz

Started by JMac26, April 06, 2021, 03:20:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iainpunk

Quote from: JMac26 on April 07, 2021, 05:55:23 PM
Quote from: iainpunk on April 07, 2021, 04:31:36 PM
QuoteIf there's the correct voltage on Q1 collector, then it should go straight to Q2 base, right?
it might be that the double sided board relies on the lead form R8 to make the connection? solder a tiny piece of component leg in the hole, and solder both sides, than check for function, i would bet on this if i were allowed to bet.
if that's not the case its probably a bad solder point, or if that's not the case as well, it might be a bad track, which you can fix by putting some wire from solder point to solder point across the bit that's bad.

cheers

I think you're probably right. Unfortunately, trying to solder a component leg into the R8 slot, i've melted the connection on the pcb and now the solder won't go into the hole  :icon_eek:
then it seems like its time to add jumper wires.
good luck!
cheers, Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

Marcos - Munky

So it's time for "brute forcing" the connection. Get a piece of wire. Solder one end to Q1 collector. Solder the other end to Q2 base (or to the side of R9 that's connected to Q2 base).

JMac26

Thanks for your help everyone, it's working! After melting the pcb connection on the crucial R8 leg, i've gone with soldering a small piece of wire directly between Q1 and Q2. I can hear the effect in my amp now, along with a lot a ground hum... now to try and solve that. 

antonis

JUst make sure that jumper also mekew contact with R9.. :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

JMac26

After putting the effect in the enclosure and adding the foot switch, I am now back to no output and no LED....

I have used an audio probe and have signal going into the "Jack In" on the footswitch daughter board, but that signal isn't making it to the first transistor on the main pcb... also the voltage at that transistor around 4V.

However, when I have one probe on ground and touch the positive probe to the LED, it lights up. Would this suggest a grounding issue?

If anyone has any tips for trouble shooting this I would be very grateful.

idy

Footswitch likely culprit. Daughter board? Photo? Signal from input jack gets to switch? Then PCB in? Common disaster here is to rotate switch 90 degrees before soldering. No workie.

JMac26

Quote from: idy on April 08, 2021, 12:02:29 PM
Footswitch likely culprit. Daughter board? Photo? Signal from input jack gets to switch? Then PCB in? Common disaster here is to rotate switch 90 degrees before soldering. No workie.

Thanks, i've attached a photo of where I'm up to at the moment.

Using the audio probe, I have clear signal on the input jack and 1 of the 6 lugs of the switch (also very faintly on a 2nd one). By the time the signal reaches the ribbon cable ("circuit in") on the daughterboard, it is much quieter. And then it is faintly audible on the base of Q1 but not on either the emitter or collector.

iainpunk

Quote from: JMac26 on April 08, 2021, 12:21:00 PM

Using the audio probe, I have clear signal on the input jack and 1 of the 6 lugs of the switch (also very faintly on a 2nd one). By the time the signal reaches the ribbon cable ("circuit in") on the daughterboard, it is much quieter. And then it is faintly audible on the base of Q1 but not on either the emitter or collector.

you might wanna put a bunch of solder on the switch lugs and the holes, they need to be soldered to work as intended... good luck
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

JMac26

Quote from: iainpunk on April 08, 2021, 02:40:36 PM
Quote from: JMac26 on April 08, 2021, 12:21:00 PM

you might wanna put a bunch of solder on the switch lugs and the holes, they need to be soldered to work as intended... good luck

Thanks, I was holding off as I can't see anything in the document about which way round it is supposed to go. Any thoughts?

Switch PDF > http://pedalparts.co.uk/docs/OptoPuss.pdf

idy

So you are using an optocoupler bypass board. The switch is a DPDT which has 6 pins, and there is no way to screw that up with rotation. it can fit two ways and both are good. But it does need solder!

JMac26

Quote from: idy on April 08, 2021, 03:31:37 PM
So you are using an optocoupler bypass board. The switch is a DPDT which has 6 pins, and there is no way to screw that up with rotation. it can fit two ways and both are good. But it does need solder!

It's working now!! it sounds like fuzzy success.

Thanks to everyone who helped, very much appreciated!

Marcos - Munky

So no more noise (but the one you're getting from the fuzz itself? :icon_mrgreen:)?