aqua puss reissue - worth modding (for a learning experience)?

Started by lavastudios, December 27, 2015, 03:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lavastudios

for those familiar with the aqua puss - just wondering if it would be a worthwhile learning experience for a newb to try to modify a reissue to original specs? assuming i can get my hands on a MN3005 chip (maybe one of the new xvive ones) do you think it would be a good way to get my feet wet with delay circuits? from what i've read, there's more to it than just replacing the chip, there's also voltage change issues. has anyone done this mod, and if so, how would you rate the difficulty level? all i've made so far is a simple distortion, and i'm looking to get a little more advanced, without completely melting my brain...

cheers!

duck_arse

from looking at a circuit posted "at the other place" for a "Really Big Wet Cat", there doesn't seem to be any voltage change issues showing. it has an mn3005/mn3101/sa571 all running on unregulated (and unspecified) +9V.

I'm still getting my mn3101 and 3102's confused, but I've been doing a similar translation of a CE1/2/3 chorus, replacing that clock driver chip with cmos IC's. it's doable, possibly educational, but you need some extra space on the BB.
don't make me draw another line.

lavastudios

thanks for the reply. i read someone saying they thought the reissue runs at 5 volts, so to get the most out of the MN3005, you'd have to bring it up to 9 volts, but maybe that's not correct. i'll look up the wet cat, cheers!