A 4046 based synth demonstrator

Started by anotherjim, February 22, 2016, 04:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duck_arse

You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

strungout

Very cool circuit, Jim! Thanks for sharing.

I used a 2272 opamp. An upgrade to the 272, so the datasheet says.

I ran it through my octaver (dry, +1, -1, -2) and it sounds great! Tried it with the autowah I just built and the vocalisations sound interesting. I get quee's and quack's. Some settings I haven't tried yet. Even brushing the pick lightly against a string makes cool vocal sounds.

I'm gonna build this, but I wanna look around for what to add to it.
"Displaying my ignorance for the whole world to teach".

"Taste can be acquired, like knowledge. What you find bitter, or can't understand, now, you might appreciate later. If you keep trying".

Ben N

Quote from: strungout on May 30, 2023, 03:31:45 PM
I ran it through my octaver (dry, +1, -1, -2) and it sounds great!
Using any particular waveform?
QuoteTried it with the autowah I just built and the vocalisations sound interesting. I get quee's and quack's. Some settings I haven't tried yet. Even brushing the pick lightly against a string makes cool vocal sounds.
Seems to me that putting a loop after the source switch & ahead of the filter, with an option for series/parallel return might be an interesting way to handle other effects, like octave & other filters
  • SUPPORTER

strungout

This thread was necro'ed!

But, @ Ben N: All of them have their own flavors but I think I liked the pulse and saw most. Just now, I was playing with mixing 2 waves together. A lot of wobble happens (Square + mix for example). It'S interesting. But there's some volume issues... Think I might start another thread to figure out that stuff.
"Displaying my ignorance for the whole world to teach".

"Taste can be acquired, like knowledge. What you find bitter, or can't understand, now, you might appreciate later. If you keep trying".

Ksander

+1 on the thanks for sharing. I built a version of this too, replacing the 272 (couldn't find one) with a TL072 and an LM393 to first amplify and then square the signal. It is awesome; very odd and versatile! It certainly will become a pedal!

One thing though: there are glitches, like sudden occassional pops in the sound. Are these produced by the IC, and also present in the original circuit?