News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Have you heard of Bela?

Started by micromegas, March 04, 2016, 10:30:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

micromegas

Hey guys.

I thought you may be interested on this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/423153472/bela-an-embedded-platform-for-low-latency-interact

Some people at my uni developed this beast.

It is an open source embedded platform for real-time audio processing with the lowest latency I've seen in any similar device.
Plus the processing power is huge (it runs on Beaglebone's 1GHz ARM A8, but uses Xenomai to give highest priority to the audio thread).

You can have 16 bit stereo audio @44.1KHz and still use 8 analog inputs, 8 analog outputs (@22.05KHz, but configurable) and 16 digital I/O at audio sample rate.

If you like hardcore DSP programming (I do), you can program it in C++ but, if that's not the case, you can run PureData patches using Heavy.

Let me know what do you think.

The amount of things you can build with this is endless, I started using it in January for one of my modules and so far have built a one-hand + breath controlled synth, an audio crossover and a drum machine controlled by an accelerometer.
Software Developer @ bela.io

greymedicine

Looks great! I've been looking into PD on RPi for a while now and will definitely consider one of these when they become available.

Transmogrifox

I just discovered this today.  Yay!  It's exactly what I've been looking for.

I was recently in the process of researching what it would take to do bare-metal programming on the raspberry pi3 and how to do audio I/O at these latencies.

Bela has all that stuff built in and includes lots of ADC channels for pots to control stuff.  This will pretty much fill the gap for a DIY multi-FX dsp platform.

Now I can just focus on the DSP stuff and not have to incur the time needed to develop utility I/O stuff. 
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

dbp512

Has anyone joined the campaign? I'm very tempted to, but my only reservation is that if not many effect builders join there won't be much sharing of code or helping to fix any stompbox-specific issues that may arise. My C++ is rusty and I don't really have any experience with embedded computers, so I'm not sure how difficult it would be. The last thing I'd want is to buy this and end up with it not working properly (or at all). Since I'll be in pharmacy school I won't have too much time to dedicate to working on it. Think about all the analog circuits I could build for the same cost (although they wouldn't be nearly as cool...)
Dave's not here, man

On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio
- Hunter S. Thompson

Digital Larry

I decided to get one.  Just today I was looking for an audio shield/cape for Raspberry Pi or BeagleBone Black (I have both).  And I've just started goofing around with Pure Data, so the possibilities seem pretty cool.  Not like I don't already have too much going on!   8)
Digital Larry
Want to quickly design your own effects patches for the Spin FV-1 DSP chip?
https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer

micromegas

I didn't joint the campaign, but have my own Bela for about 2 months now (we use it in a module at uni) I am working in a couple of delay projects, a spectral delay (working with FFTs) and a granular version. Will post my code once it is completed (it is going to be C++ though, I am not fluent with pd yet...).

Quote from: dbp512 on March 30, 2016, 10:53:13 PM
Has anyone joined the campaign? I'm very tempted to, but my only reservation is that if not many effect builders join there won't be much sharing of code or helping to fix any stompbox-specific issues that may arise. My C++ is rusty and I don't really have any experience with embedded computers, so I'm not sure how difficult it would be. The last thing I'd want is to buy this and end up with it not working properly (or at all). Since I'll be in pharmacy school I won't have too much time to dedicate to working on it. Think about all the analog circuits I could build for the same cost (although they wouldn't be nearly as cool...)
It is quite simple to set up to be fair and the documentation is quite good. I don't know about other pedal builders working on this, but the acceptance was quite nice in the synth world (and lots of people doing synths do also effects).
Software Developer @ bela.io