Ibanez FL-301 trouble

Started by angelodp, January 02, 2011, 04:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: angelodp on January 03, 2011, 10:39:16 PM
Will do, is that part readily available. Small Bear?

Definitely.

Where are you at? If I can dig up one I will send it to ya if it is not too expensive.  ;D
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

angelodp

Wow, you are a gentleman and a scholar. I am in Los Angeles

Govmnt_Lacky

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

Bullet79

last resort........

if all still not working, please consider to buy a new pedal.. or build one........  :icon_mrgreen:

angelodp

Ok Diode is still ok but that 12v regulator is blown. Are you saying with that blown it may have caused additional damage down the line and it is not repairable?

Thanks all for helping out.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: angelodp on January 03, 2011, 11:17:31 PM
Are you saying with that blown it may have caused additional damage down the line and it is not repairable?

Nothing is for sure right now EXCEPT the fact that you have identified a bad 12V regulator. That needs to be dealt with BEFORE moving on.

Did you get my PM?

angelodp

Yes, and very good... looking forward to the minor surgery lol.
:icon_razz:

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: angelodp on January 03, 2011, 11:26:07 PM
Yes, and very good... looking forward to the minor surgery lol.
:icon_razz:

Did you RESPOND to the PM I sent? I did not receive a reply.

angelodp

angelodp

Big thanks to Greg for helping me out on this. Put in the 12v regulator ( ;) now I know what it is ) and whamo Flanger back. Now I do not have the light working, LED so I do need some help on that. While the unit was down I did try a 9v battery on the LED to see if it worked and it did... hope I did not fry that? Any thoughts.

BTW, just a note of special thanks to Greg and a forum that is kind and civil.

Best Ange

PS on a one spot, is there a tip that will work with this unit?
PPS I cannot make out the symbol of the LED on the schematic?

angelodp

Ok so the pedal works but not the LED. Took out the protection Diode and it is working ok out of circuit. In circuit it is passing voltage in both directions. I think the problem may be a sloppy soldering
job done by a tech a while back when he was trouble shooting the pedal... never did fix it. But it looks like the solder has slopped over and is making some bad connections. Not sure how to get that solder out of there . I have tried braid and
solder sucker but a thin sheet remains and is making contact where it should not... I think.

Any suggestions would be great. The pedal works.

Govmnt_Lacky

Your best bet would be to remove any questionable solder with either the braid or a solder sucker. Do this the best you can. Then, USING THE SCHEMATIC.... cut or remove  the "bad" traces with an exacto knife. After you have confirmed that ALL of the "bad" traces have been severed (ensuring connections are good in accordance with the schematic).... then resolder and re-check.

Odds are that the traces that are UNDER the boards coating are good. You just need to worry about the "questionable re-work" that was done.

Good Luck  ;D

angelodp

Greg, yeah it was the LED, threw a new one in and its all back to working like new. Now the One Spot tip is still a question. AFAYK ... does this unit require a positive tip or negative tip power source.

Thanks  Ange

Govmnt_Lacky

Should be easy to find out. Just check for continuity with your DMM from the input of the 12V regulator (the leg that reads 18V... which SHOULD be the leg closest to the DC jack) to either the DC jack tip or outer ring. That should tell you if the tip is V+ input or the ring is V+ input.

BTW... do this with batteries removed and no power applied.

Good Luck  ;D

chuckfalcon

Hey guys, I too have a FL-301 problem that I haven't really dove into yet.  I have checked the debugging page and it doesn't cover the issue that I am having.

The issue is, I have a substantial volume loss when I use this pedal "on" AND bypassed.  I know this pedal isn't true bypassed in bypass mode, so the issue is happening in circuit somewhere. 

Any idea what in the world this could be?

Thanks,
Chuck