Neovibe Build - Powering it

Started by ItsGiusto, April 02, 2016, 07:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItsGiusto

Hi everyone. I have a few questions about a Neovibe build I'm attempting to do.

First off, many pedals use a TRS plug on the input such that the power is only on if the jack is plugged in. Is this necessary to do for the neovibe? I'm unsure if having the effect on all the time would burn out the bulb too fast. At the same time, I don't know if turning it off and on a lot would be a good thing either.

Also, I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a good power supply to use. I have the standard Dunlop 18v dc power adapter. Would that work well, or should I use something with more volts? Also would that adapter work well if I daisy chained it with other effects? What would the Neovibe's current draw be at 18v? Or if you have a good dc or ac adapter to recommenced, then lay it on me!

PRR

> I'm unsure if having the effect on all the time would burn out the bulb too fast. At the same time, I don't know if turning it off and on a lot would be a good thing either.

The specified lamp is probably good for over 1,000 hours average *at steady voltage*. In this case the dark-dim-bright action is maybe 50% voltage "average". Lamp life goes WAY up at reduced voltage. I would assume 10,000 hours, which is like 30 years of reasonable gig-time.

It won't last so long if you leave it powered 24/7. Like any incandescent lamp, turn it off when you don't need it again soon. If you don't un-plug your rig when done, add a power switch and a bright LED to remind you.

Incandescent lamp "average" life is a statistic. Any lamp can burn-out in the first hour, manufacturing ding. If a burnt bulb will make you cry, buy spares. Even at Radio Shack's baggie-price, lifetime spares (3 or 4) may cost less than a six of beer.

> What would the Neovibe's current draw be at 18v?

Using the specified 12V 25mA lamp: about 31mA.
  • SUPPORTER

thermionix

Wouldn't the constantly changing voltage (and filament temperature) make an incandescent bulb burn out faster than it would with a steady voltage?