Complete AVR tap-tempo LFO project for 8- or 14-pin, now open-source

Started by hab, April 05, 2016, 09:54:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hab

I realize this has already been implemented several times over by various people, but I figured some of you might get some fun out of this. This is a new and revised version (v3) of the project I posted a few years ago, but didn't seem to pick up much interest. Hopefully this project is a bit more accessible.

https://github.com/hsabro/tap-tempo

Jamdog

-Jamdog

hab

Quote from: Jamdog on April 18, 2016, 08:13:27 AM
Any videos of it in Action?

Nope, but that's a good idea. Not sure I have the time to get around to it with all the other things I'm tinkering with, though.

Regardless, the source code is there for anyone interested in turning their AVR chips into something useful. Hopefully some of you can use it, either straight out of the box, or as a building block for something cool.

Digital Larry

I was talking to a guy recently who said he HATEs tap-tempo.  Reason being that in a band context, unless you are playing to a click, there's little chance that the band will maintain that same tempo after you tap it in.  I haven't actually seen anyone trying to keep their tempo locked onstage.  I figure there's more going on there. 

I saw the Mermen (local surf/psychedelic band) on Friday night and there are a few places where the guitar player opens a tune with a LOT of delay, but those tend to be spacy type intros where the band isn't really kicked in.  It's just a trio and the drummer is mostly doing flourishes at this point.  I think the guitarist was using a tape delay and I have no reason to believe he's tapping tempos in. 

But it made me think that there might be some use in having a couple of extra settings for any tap tempo pedal.

e.g. # beers consumed.  this would contribute to a sinusoidal tempo fluctuation combined with an overall tendency to slow down.

Back in the day, there were some nasal powders that would cause a general tendency to speed up.  But I don't want to promote that sort of behavior, so I won't talk about it any more.
Digital Larry
Want to quickly design your own effects patches for the Spin FV-1 DSP chip?
https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer

hab

I see your point. Tap-tempo might not always be the right choice. Notice, though, that on the 14-pin version I've also included manual tempo adjust via a rotary encoder, so you can make it work without tapping as well.

Digital Larry

Actually I think using tap tempo is fine.  Expecting the band to follow your tap tempo is probably a little silly.
Digital Larry

Hatredman

Well can't you use te tap tempo to correct the delay time during the song?

Sent from my iPoor using Tapatalk - now Free because I'm poor
Kirk Hammet invented the Burst Box.

Digital Larry

Given that I play the bass mostly during the few occasions I have for live performance, I can't say too much about the pedal dance.  My ability to concentrate on technical things flies away when I'm playing, to my chagrin.  I'd like to be able to say that I could rewrite the DSP code for the algorithm I'm currently using for my bass solo, at the same time. Because I KNOW that chicks dig that sort of thing.  But I have to accept my limitations. (sniff)  :icon_wink:
Digital Larry

Ice-9

Quote from: Hatredman on May 01, 2016, 08:11:17 PM
Well can't you use te tap tempo to correct the delay time during the song?

Sent from my iPoor using Tapatalk - now Free because I'm poor

Or use a piezo as the tap switch and hook it up to the drums, that should make for some interesting tempo changes. lol
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.