TAPRECISE - Calibrated Tap Tempo with Presets, Subdivision and Modulation

Started by mfunky, April 29, 2016, 07:46:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mfunky

This is "Taprecise", an Arduino-based tap tempo control for PT 2399 based delays, that can be automatically calibrated to compensate any tolerance in the required digital pots (up to +/-30%). Calibration takes 2-3 minutes and only needs to be done once. After that, you get "what you tap is what you get". Features:

• Absolut precise tap-tempo control
  • Rotary encoders for delay time fine tuning, modulation depth and speed
  • Footswitches for tap tempo, preset, subdivision
  • Mini switche for modulation on/off
  • Subdivision for 1/8, dotted 8th, 1/3 triplets
  • Two user-definable presets (can be stored in standalone mode, of course)
  • Connection to Delay requires a simple stereo jack, which also powers the tap-tempo-unit
  • Open source code to adjust code to user preferences (uploadable via accessible USB-Port on enclosure side)
  • Fits in a 1590B

I assume, that this can be used for dual PT2399-Delays as well (see discussion here: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=22253.msg222337#msg222337), but this still needs to be tested (by someone, who has a dual PT2399 delay ;D). Once I have put my delay (a deep blue delay) and Taprecise in two 1590Bs, I will offer this as a group buy (and also release latest documentation and updated code).

Developing taprecise took more than half a year with a lot of discussions with many users here - thank you for your input. I cancelled some features I had foreseen in the past (e.g. "strum tempo", which worked, but required too many components/space) and added some (e.g. the "preset" feature).

Group buy link: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=22682.0

Here are some preview images:

Cozybuilder

Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

mfunky

Quote from: Cozybuilder on April 29, 2016, 08:18:09 AM
Wow  :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: You've really upped the bar here!
Thanks, Cozy - nice to hear that from YOU!!! You should try to put it in a 1590A ;-)

Groovenut

Seriously upper the ante with this project  :icon_eek:

Holy Carp my friend! That is awesome!!!

Me thinks the 1590A isn't enough room for the switches let alone the other guts  ;D
You've got to love obsolete technology.....

mfunky

Quote from: Groovenut on April 29, 2016, 10:32:26 AM
Seriously upper the ante with this project  :icon_eek:

Holy Carp my friend! That is awesome!!!

Me thinks the 1590A isn't enough room for the switches let alone the other guts  ;D

I was just kidding. But actually, if you skip modulation and presets and realize three subdivisions with a mini-toggle, it should be possible to squeeze this onto an attiny, which has the size of an average opamp (8 legs, DIL). That would probably fit in a 1590B together with a delay ;-)