Any suggestions for an equalizer for the tiny giant amp?

Started by dbp512, May 08, 2016, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbp512

Hi, I've been eyeing the tiny giant lately as a clean power amp. I'd eventually pair it with Aion's new L5 preamp, placing my modulation pedals between in what would otherwise be the effects loop. Instead of building the giant in another 1590/125, I wanted to do something a little bit different, so I'm planning on using a Hammond 1444. There will be plenty of room in the enclosure for some sort of tone circuit, so I'm looking for some interesting choices. I don't have any particular sound in mind, but the ability to sculpt my sound at the end of the chain might prove useful.

My first choice was a baxandall stack because its simple, effective, and can be set to flat. Similar to that would be the BJF Sea Blue EQ which uses the james tone stack wrapped in a pair of jfet gain stages. I haven't used the SBEQ so I don't know how different it sounds than the baxandall, but I'd be interested in trying it since it could give it slightly more guitar flavor rather than a hi-fi stereo. I'm also considering a cab sim instead, since I never got around to building dan schwartz's design, but I don't know if that would be overkill. 

Obviously I'd experiment and build the eq circuit before installing anything in the box, but I'd like to see if there are any other ideas.
Dave's not here, man

On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio
- Hunter S. Thompson

samhay

The L5 is already some sort of tone circuit, among other thing.
I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

dbp512

I'm aware of that, but I wasn't sure if any tone shaping at the end of the signal chain would be useful or not. I was thinking that a cab sim would be too similar to the tone stack in the preamp, but I thought someone might have an interesting suggestion. If nothing else I'll probably end up using a baxandall since I've seen a few other people do it on google with decent results.
Dave's not here, man

On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio
- Hunter S. Thompson

mth5044

I've put a fender tonestack before the tiny giant with success, but I think that would be pretty redundant with your preamp. Perhaps a sonic maximizer would be more up your alley.

dbp512

The sonic maximizer looks like it fits the bill perfectly. The demo's sound promising and it seems to like being placed right before the power amp. The best part is Aion sells it so I can pick it up the same time I get the preamp.
Dave's not here, man

- Hunter S. Thompson