“Vintage Vibe” Tube Vibrato adapted for 6n16b? (solved, easy)

Started by Kevin Mitchell, June 07, 2016, 12:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Mitchell

I'm very interested in tinkering with the vintage vibe. Though I do have a pair of 6111WA (one would imagine these work just as well) I'd like to use the 6n16b russian submini tubes.

I'm clueless, guys. Of course the pinout is different but I'm unsure of what value changes I would have to make to get a working circuit with this tube substitution.

Here's the original project page which includes a schematic
Any insight is very much appreciated. Thank you!
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

frequencycentral

Try just changing it to suit the pinouts. Good place to start.
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

Kevin Mitchell

Thank you very much!

I guess there isn't much to change for this tube alternative. Here's a sample of the circuit on breadboard - just threw in an lfo I have burnt in my brain  ;D
Forgive my playing; it's getting late  :icon_rolleyes:

I've learned that any hum coming from this thing is from the wallwart I'm using. It took two 1000uf caps to clear it up well enough.

Beautiful design, FC. I wanted to use this as ground zero for a tube phase shifter. I really dig the simplicity.
  • SUPPORTER

Kevin Mitchell

Correct me if I have the wrong idea; is the Vintage Vibe a two stage phaser?

I'm thinking I could add another pair of tubes (total of 6 phase stages) and tinker around to get a decent tube phaser. I've been trying to find some schematics out there for a simple 12v tube phaser or vibe but there isn't much to dig up it seems.
  • SUPPORTER

gtudoran

Nice, this is one of my onboard projects right now but with one tube and 6N17B, i'va made my tube tremolo with 1 x 12ax7 and now i'm working on one with 6n17b

Regards,
DeX

Kevin Mitchell

Very nice! I can't imagine the 6n17b tubes sounding much different to the 16b for this project.

I'm working on a 12v pre-amp now. Pretty much a classic fender tone stack with a valve caster thrown in. Inspired by the Blackbird pre-amp pedal. I'd love to have the Vintage Vibe in there as well.

I've read in a few places that the VV is a phase shifter design which is why I was looking to use it as a platform for a bigger project - a 8 stage phaser or vibe.
  • SUPPORTER

duck_arse

kevin - the VV uses the same configuration as the "magnavibe" that's going around. I'm currently messing with (low mu) valve phase/vibes at higher voltages as well.

gtudoran - are you doing the trem still, or a vibe?
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

Kevin Mitchell

Quote from: duck_arse on June 10, 2016, 11:40:37 AM
kevin - the VV uses the same configuration as the "magnavibe" that's going around.

It's been about a year since I've taken a gander at the magna vibe. I feel wayyy less intimated now  :icon_rolleyes:

I've been trying to adapt the VV to being a phaser. After observing the few schematics out there for tube phasers I've realized that they all share a similar configuration. I haven't had much time to explore but to start; the 1M resistors to ground at the phase tubes grid can be put to it's cathode instead of to ground and a feedback control at the beginning of the 1st stage and the output of the last stage. These are very simple observations and I believe is the way for what I'm aiming for.

I've tried some of these things from the VV configuration and didn't get much of a difference from the original vibrato sound. I'll give it another shot with some cap value changes and further adaptations.
  • SUPPORTER