News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Audio Effects DSP Board

Started by markseel, June 13, 2016, 11:53:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markseel

Yeah it's really tight  :icon_surprised:

So I put the jacks in the case and then place the PCB over them and push down to make the jack pins poke through the PCB.  Then solder the jack pins.

It's easy to do but disassembly seems near impossible.

cliffsp8

Maybe something like this would make it easier.

https://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Connectors/REAN-Neutrik-AG-NYS215-Stereo-Jack-Socket-0-25-20-0112

it has a short stub and the metal collar screws in from the outside.

GuitarPhil

Yes those are the best type as they fit flush against the inside of the enclosure and the metal nut/bezel screws in from outside.

markseel

Thanks for the jack suggestions guys :-). Getting close to a production run of the basic XMOS module boards.  Should be able to get the cost of these down to $30 to $50 per module (fully assembled) depending how this scales up.

I still have 7 or 8 test/prototypes of the modules with the ADC/DAC on board if anyone wants one.  They didn't sell - folks are waiting for the main board and other folks are overseas.  $25 and I'll ship you one of these test units (sorry, continental US but I'll ship it for $50? if you're outside of the US). 

Note! Those prototype boards above will not fit in the main board being made now since the module pinout changes slightly.  But you could put on on a breadboard or your own PCB, hook up some jacks and pots, and mess around :-)

That main board is almost done though.  Final test builds happening now.  The aluminum cases that house the main board and XMOS module are designed and ready for production - just have to line up CM's for milling and anodizing.

micromegas

Hi Mark,

I wouldn't mind getting one of the prototype modules, I want to experiment with it and already have an analog input/output board to use with it.

I am overseas (UK) though, but 50$ sounds reasonable.

Quote from: markseel on March 14, 2018, 05:30:23 PM
Thanks for the jack suggestions guys :-). Getting close to a production run of the basic XMOS module boards.  Should be able to get the cost of these down to $30 to $50 per module (fully assembled) depending how this scales up.

I still have 7 or 8 test/prototypes of the modules with the ADC/DAC on board if anyone wants one.  They didn't sell - folks are waiting for the main board and other folks are overseas.  $25 and I'll ship you one of these test units (sorry, continental US but I'll ship it for $50? if you're outside of the US). 

Note! Those prototype boards above will not fit in the main board being made now since the module pinout changes slightly.  But you could put on on a breadboard or your own PCB, hook up some jacks and pots, and mess around :-)

That main board is almost done though.  Final test builds happening now.  The aluminum cases that house the main board and XMOS module are designed and ready for production - just have to line up CM's for milling and anodizing.
Software Developer @ bela.io

markseel

Great - shipping it tomorrow via United States Postal Service for $38.  I'll take a bit of a loss on this but it would be nice to get these in peoples hands for feedback :-).  Just throw $50 in my paypal and give the board a go for me and we'll call it even! (PayPal account is markanderin93@gmail.com).  Anyone else?

tcpoint

I'm up for one.  I live in the US.

markseel

Great email flexfx@protonmail with your address and I'll calculate the total cost - should be less than $50 since it's in the US.

micromegas

Quote from: markseel on March 15, 2018, 02:35:09 PM
Great - shipping it tomorrow via United States Postal Service for $38.  I'll take a bit of a loss on this but it would be nice to get these in peoples hands for feedback :-).  Just throw $50 in my paypal and give the board a go for me and we'll call it even! (PayPal account is markanderin93@gmail.com).  Anyone else?

Done, thanks!
Software Developer @ bela.io

markseel

For those of you who will soon have a combo board ... here's how the XMOS XTAG-2 JTAG interface is connected.  Also note that Vusb is used as the V5 supply by using a jumper.  This allows you to power the device and test with no other hookups in place.  There's a few more combo boards left.

markseel

Well this is probably the last post for FlexFx to this forum - I shouldn't abuse this space for my endeavor so I'll be posting in a FlexFX specific forum for now on.  I hope folks take a look and stay interested as I move this along :-)

Pretty much same status as last time ...

Initial USB/XMOS module production to establish a turnkey PCB and assembly contract manufacturer is almost done (assembled boards back this week).  This will get a some stock established for testing and demos.

For anyone interested in cases ... the stompbox case design is finished and quotes are in for machining, anodizing and laser etching.  The case is really nice and the FlexFX boards fit inside with precision :-)

KickStarter is close to commencing - I just have to finish some media/photo stuff and finalize the finances for production of boards, cases, stomp boxes, etc.

A FlexFX users/developers forum is up and running: https://flexfx.discussion.community

A web store (for buying modules, other boards, cases, fully assembled stomp boxes) is almost up.  You can also download effects for free from that store (or you can just get them from GitHub).

The GitHub site moved and code was simplified: 'flexfx.github.io'.   

From the start of this project all FlexFX software is free to use and I plan to keep it that way.  The goal of this has been to establish a very high performance USB audio, MIDI, and DSP platform for audio applications and effects for DIY'rs on up to effects and audio interface developers and users that anyone can write firmware for ... for free.

The vision has been to provide a framework that allows folks to focus on DSP rather than all of the USB/MIDI/I2C/I2S stuff and I really believe that FlexFX achieves this vision.  It delivers a high degree of DSP processing headroom and high channel count / sample rate USB/I2S audio capabilities in a small factor and for low cost.

Thanks all for your interest and feedback so far.  I'd love to see posts on that other forum and I'll help answer posts as much as I can!

potul

Good luck in this endeavour!

While I understand you will be updating details in the new forum, please keep us updated here around key milestones. I want to see how this evolves, but I most probably will not be checking the dedicated forum unless I want to jump in.

Mat

EBK

Quote from: potul on April 11, 2018, 02:31:11 AM
Good luck in this endeavour!

While I understand you will be updating details in the new forum, please keep us updated here around key milestones. I want to see how this evolves, but I most probably will not be checking the dedicated forum unless I want to jump in.

Mat
Ditto.  I've been enjoying these posts.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

markseel

Quote from: EBK on April 11, 2018, 07:07:19 AM
Ditto.  I've been enjoying these posts.

Well in that case here's some more posts!  If these posts are too noisy or are abusing the forum in some way just let me know. But until then ...  :icon_biggrin:

Here's the case so far.  Design and fit adjustments are finished.  Threw in various knobs to see how they look - they fit down into the counter bore to hide the pot mounting hardware.  Going to offer the case with choice of black, silver or gold knobs.  Case will be frost-coat anodized black.

vigilante397

Quote from: markseel on April 11, 2018, 10:41:33 AM

That's either a really clean picture or a really good 3D render, I can't tell which :icon_eek:

Looks great either way though 8) Oh and another +1 for enjoying these posts.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

markseel

It's an actual photo!  Yeah it turned out really clean.  I used a lightbox that emits diffused light from top and sides.  Amazing how much better photos turn out - and this was taken with an iPhone 6se so no expensive camera needed  :icon_cool:.  You can either make them or buy them - they're not expensive.  The bottom of the box is acrylic so that's where the cool reflection comes from.

audioartillery

Nice to see you're going to be selling turnkey pedals.  I've been designing an enclosure for another kit and it's fun but it really is a lot of work.  Definitely interested when these are for sale.

markseel

Quote from: audioartillery on April 12, 2018, 12:23:20 PM
Nice to see you're going to be selling turnkey pedals.  I've been designing an enclosure for another kit and it's fun but it really is a lot of work.  Definitely interested when these are for sale.

Yes and these can be preloaded with effects in case the end user isn't capable of loading themselves.  But since they have USB they can be loaded with any effect at any time.  Here's a screenshot of the HTML interface for the Cabsim running in Google Chrome.  Basically plug in the pedal to USB and this will pop up on Chrome if you have the 'flexfx.html' page loaded (from a website or from your local drive or whatever).

Whenever a USB device is plugged in the html code uses USB/MIDI to discover what the device is, pulls in some device/effect specific HTML over USB/MIDI (embedded in the effects firmware), and display the effect interface.  Any effect made with the FlexFX framework can have it's own interface just by adding the HTML code to a string variable in our 'effects.c' file.

tbjr6

Did you ever end up posting the schematics? I can't find them anywhere and I saw that you said you'd post them on Page 1.