Troubleshooting faulty tremolo pedal (Shape Shifter)

Started by cmsuter, July 08, 2016, 01:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmsuter

Uber noob here. I have a Seymour Duncan Shape Shifter that I used to love, but now all of a sudden it doesn't turn on. I had it in my chain and I turned it off and when I went to turn it back on...Nothing. The lights will not come on. When I turn it "on" the signal is just muted. Where should I start testing? I could take it to someone but I have always been super curious about building pedals so I would rather fix it myself. Anyone have any pointers?

duck_arse

the first step would be to take the back off. see if anything jumps out at you, cause that means it would be loose.

we hafta ask - you didn't do any plug swapping with power supplies, or lend it to anyone or anything like that? sniff for burnt smell. look for charcoals.

next step - find the circuit diagram, take some gut photos, get a multimeter.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

cmsuter

Nothing looked out of the ordinary when I took the back off. And no swapping of power supplies or lending involved. I was playing one day, turned it off, and seconds later tried to turn it back on and nothing happened. When I turn it on, it just cuts the signal. I think I will just replace it anyway... I wanted to repair it, but even if I get it repaired it still wouldn't do what I want it to. It has a tap tempo but you can only tap out the tempo when the pedal is engaged. So no tapping out ahead of time, which is a huge design flaw to me.