Author Topic: First Pedal  (Read 4968 times)

Josiah Bacher

First Pedal
« on: June 22, 2016, 10:56:14 PM »
Hello,
My name is Josiah Bacher, I am currently undertaking the compulsory Stage 2 Research Project as part of my Year 12 Studies. My research question is, “What is the simplest method to construct a guitar effect pedal?”
As a method of research I intend to construct an effect pedal myself. Below are a few broad questions regarding the decisions that are to be made in the construction. Your responses will help to guide my research.
If you wish to remain anonymous please let me know.
For the purpose of referencing and credibility, please include some information about yourself e.g. name, business, qualifications.

1.   What is the simplest pedal to build and why?

2.   Describe the general method of constructing a pedal?

3.   Briefly explain or list what you think are essential aspects or functions of a guitar pedal.

4.   Please briefly describe any stories that you yourself have experienced, or other people that you know, that involve either the construction or use of guitar effect pedals.

Thank you for your time, your responses are greatly appreciated. Please return your survey to the email address below. If you have any concerns or questions please contact me.
If you feel you cannot contribute to this survey, please forward it to anyone you believe could.
Thank you,
Josiah Bacher
Email: josiahbacher@hotmail.com

Jdansti

Re: First Pedal
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 12:40:30 AM »
Welcome!  I prefer to be a spectator on this one. Good luck on your project. This should be interesting!
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

deadastronaut

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 08:42:58 AM »
me too....popcorn ready.. 8)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Elijah-Baley

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 10:37:22 AM »
1.   What is the simplest pedal to build and why?
Bazz Fuss.
Minimal circuit and works ok.

Try to do some research about the DIY pedal's world. You can find everything you want.
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

duck_arse

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 11:16:08 AM »
yeah, popcorn.

a snag, tho, does it have to be exclusively for guitar?

and (if you can get the proper copper thing) I'd say simplest would be a circuit box with burst button, but that is not exclusive to guit.

any stories I have experienced ........ well, once, deadastro told me ......
"I think we're done here."

"rule #1 - don't paraphrase."

'redundant legs don't grease the skids'

bluebunny

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 12:38:01 PM »
........ well, once, deadastro told me ......

Aw, he started already!  I haven't got my popcorn!    :icon_cry:

@OP: you might do well to stick around the main board long enough to get a lot of the anecdotes and insights you're looking for.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

PBE6

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 01:06:02 PM »
Josiah, I think you'd get more and better responses if you provide us with your research results thus far. Right now your post reads like you want us to do your homework for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Josiah Bacher

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 11:01:28 PM »
Hi Everyone,
I would just explain what the purpose of this project is. By providing you with a question on this forum, I am ultimately conducting an interview in order to have responses that contribute to my primary research. I am aware that I can find this information online, however, I have to use different access points in order to prove I can pull information from a wide range of sources. I will use your the opinions/information you provide to create a new set of questions. This is just one of the ways I will be collecting my information. I do, however, appreciate your opinion on the way I have formulated my questions, however, this is the starting point of research to come. My intention is to obtain the opinion of far more experienced people than myself.
Thank you,
Josiah.

Rixen

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 12:34:32 AM »
just removed my original text here as I see you want responses sent direct to you.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 12:38:59 AM by Rixen »

GiovannyS10

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2016, 12:11:15 AM »
Hello, Josiah!  ;D

First of all, Welcome to this board, i hope you can find good projects and good friends here.
Now i can introduce me, my name is Giovanny and i am from Brazil. I am here since last year but start with pedals two years ago, and with electronics 8 years ago. But i don't know much things. Hahaha  ;D So let's go to answer you,

Is not cleared for me what you really want. You made questions a little open, we need details... I will try to answer you the best way i can... I hope help you

1.   What is the simplest pedal to build and why?

A Fuzz, at least all the pedals i made, i think the Fuzz is the best to start. Is very simple to do and easy to your project work fine. If you want to build a clone, you will really find A LOT of projects on this forum, is only look for and do the best for you  ;) But if you want to develop one, is too much easy, i remember my first pedal was a Fuzz, made with one BC517 and with only 7 electronics parts. Hahahaha, yes, really, and worked well on this time... Of course today i work with more complex pedals and develop better toys  8) But for start i really recommend a fuzz, or if you want to clone, my advice is, start with a Fuzz, is more easy  ;) .

2.   Describe the general method of constructing a pedal?

Method os construction? So, i will answer your questions with new questions... What you want to make? What you will do to make it? Which parts use and how to use? After it, put all is a blank paper, after on a breadboard, put a electronic music on radio, and voy là. You are building a pedal. Hahaha, so its too relactive about what you want to build, we have a lot of kind of pedals... But basically is it, know what you want, try to think how you will do it, and start to work...

3.   Briefly explain or list what you think are essential aspects or functions of a guitar pedal.

A guitar pedal is a tool to module and change the guitar signal sound and mod it to your linking...

4.   Please briefly describe any stories that you yourself have experienced, or other people that you know, that involve either the construction or use of guitar effect pedals.

Man, with all this times i have a lot of thing to say, i started here looking for help, like you. With really bad pedals into sardines cans... Hahaha, today i work with it like professional, selling my pedals (but i really continue not understanding how a pedal works Hahahahah) ;D , rarely i answer the threads or post something because rarely i have time for it, but i am every time here... The people here helped me a lot and i learned too much things (including English), so you only need to start your project, ask and share your experience with us. And not forget to post a "drive test" of your pedal hahaha  ;D

So, i hope help you, any questions you can send me a PM and i will answer as soon as possible.

One more time, be welcome.  8)

~Giovanny
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 12:14:59 AM by GiovannyS10 »
That's all, Folks!

"Are you on drugs?"
-ARSE, Duck.

www.instagram.com/allecto

duck_arse

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2016, 10:27:05 AM »
..... and then goldilocks said "Dude! the J201 with the 22k biases up juuussst awesome." and they all lived happily ever after. the end.

I think most people here have a) built a pedal, b) an opinion (probably wrong) and c) some typing ability, so, while you're stuffing yer faces wit der poppkorn, how about doing 5 minutes of typing and send off his survey? I've sent mine, Gio, well, you can see, kirk hammet has someone ghost-writing his - you don't want the three of us warping his world view and scooping all the sausages-as-prizes, surely.
"I think we're done here."

"rule #1 - don't paraphrase."

'redundant legs don't grease the skids'

GiovannyS10

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2016, 11:31:52 AM »
Yes, i agree with the most thing you said, Duck... The others things i not understand  :icon_mrgreen: Aussie English is really weird, and your is worse. Hahahaha
That's all, Folks!

"Are you on drugs?"
-ARSE, Duck.

www.instagram.com/allecto

patricks

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 05:43:55 AM »
Response PM-ed, cos I didn't feel like using my email address

And for question four, your homework is to read the Burst Box thread. The entire thing. There will be a test.  :icon_mrgreen: