Stereo cable to mono for pedal connection

Started by marcos_s_p, December 22, 2017, 10:14:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marcos_s_p

Hey guys! I'm not sure if this is the place, if not disregard the post.

I have a spare stereo instrument cable of good quality that I'm not using and I need some cables to conect my pedals. Can I use this and solder the two mains together in the tip of each plug? I ask that because the shielding is done considering the eletromagnectic field generated by the positive inside. So two mains could influence that...no?

I just don't like the idea of throwing away a good quality cable if there might have a use for it....

Thanks

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

PRR

It should work just like it is.

The "R" wire and rings do nothing. That's a "waste of money", many pennies. But you already have it.
  • SUPPORTER

marcos_s_p

I see, but I don't have the stereo plugs. I do have the mono...so should I wire the steteo to mono by soldering both core cables together in the tip or leave one unsoldered?

Thanks again!

blackieNYC

Are you talking about a cable with two wires, black and red, inside the insulation? That's balanced cable. Or are you talking about the cheap paired cable that comes free with a CD player or something? The ones you could split from one another?
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

marcos_s_p

I´m talking about the good ones. Just as a guitar cable but inside the insulation there are other two insulated cables that are not glued to each other. ;)

highwater

Is it a bare stereo cable (three wires, one of which is the ground) without plugs?
"I had an unfortunate combination of a very high-end medium-size system, with a "low price" phono preamp (external; this was the decade when phono was obsolete)."
- PRR

marcos_s_p

Lol, didn't though the confusion would be on the description of the wire....hahahha...

It is a wire with a mash/shield (ground) around two individualy insulated cables (tip and ring- on stereo). It's just like a guitar cable but with two wires runing in the middle ;)

PRR

Ah. Ideal.

Red tip to tip.

Black shell to shell.

Shield to one shell.

Mark the shield end. Maybe there is a tiny advantage if this goes to the destination. In some cases the source is a better place to return shield. Mostly no difference.

• SUPPORTER

marcos_s_p

Hmm, interesting. But, not connecting the shield in one side wouldn't lead to pour noise insulation?

Would that work the same way if instead of making small pedal connection cables I did one long guitar cable?

Many thanks!

PRR

> pour noise insulation?

A gutter only needs one down-spout.
  • SUPPORTER

cruisen

I agree for most cases, however if the cable is long and the inside wiring is not a low resistance one, I would consider using both red and black to connect to the tip to get half the resistance.

If you connect both inside cables to the tip, it depends on the use case for this cable.

I prefer a single side connected shield for the cable directly connected to the guitar. And almost all other guitar cables connected on both sides.

And yes cabeling does influence your sound   

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

DIY Bass

I would think that soldering both ends of 2 wires together in parallel like that (or soldering a wire and the screen together at both ends) would give you stray capacitance in the wire.  I must admit I have no idea how much or what the effect would be to the sound.

PRR

We just did math on another forum. If you run a transcontinental telephone company, it will matter. If you are just crossing a room or stage, it does NOT matter.

Do whatever is mechanically strong, neat, or convenient.
  • SUPPORTER