Engineer's Thumb + Buff n Blend -- Problem (no compression, quiet)

Started by Mo3hre, November 21, 2021, 04:47:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mo3hre

Hi guys,
I've built an engineers thumb (from kit) and am trying to add a Blend knob with buff n blend (also kit). The engineer's thumb works nicely on its own. However, if I add the Buff n Blend and turn the blend knob to all wet, it's only unity gain, but with noise and without noticeable compression. I have the feeling that the input from Buff n Blend to engineer's thumb is too weak and therefore it never crosses threshold to compress. If I run the engineer's thumb on its own, it's much louder and compression is very  obvious. Also, if I turn the 'ratio' knob of engineer's thumb all the way down, there is no signal anymore. Is it supposed to be like that?
I'm quite new to building pedals and I really hope you guys can help. I loved the sound of the engineer's thumb, adding the buff n blend is a little ambitious for me but man would that sound cool!

GibsonGM

Link to B n B pdf schematic.    https://guitarpcb.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/BD_Buff-N-Blend.pdf

Sorry if this is obvious, but did you determine that the Buff works as it should, using another pedal or dry signal?
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Mo3hre

Yes, I shorted send to return, which gives dry signal (wet=dry). See picture. I was also worried about phase cancellation, but from what I've read the engineer's thumb doesn't invert phase. The engineer's thumb PCB has two spots for +9V. Usually the top one (in picture) gets soldered to the DC connector, and the bottom right one is connected to the 3PDT switch. I soldered both to the +9V connection on the buff n blend pcb, is that correct?

blackieNYC

The 2nd 9v connection goes to the switch for an LED.  No harm in how you've connected it. 
The short that you tested your buff n blend with should be fine, but I would also try with a pedal you know and trust that does not invert phase.  Just 'cuz.  Though yes, the ET does not invert phase/polarity.
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers