Author Topic: Protaitone BOOST-1 Kit Build - HELP??  (Read 6094 times)

musicguy79

Protaitone BOOST-1 Kit Build - HELP??
« on: July 21, 2016, 06:09:12 PM »
Hello all!   I am new, and I am new to building pedals.

I thought I would start off slow and buy a full kit and the one I chose was from the Chinese company Protaitone.  I bought the BOOST-1 kit.  It came with everything needed to complete... EXCEPT... instructions hahaha.  I contacted the supplier and they sent me 3 pictures but they are blurry and somewhat confusing seeing as they used color coordinated wire but only sent me yellow.   So yeah... a few things causing confusion.  Luckily most of the board was labeled... but... when it comes to the DC jack... their photos are too blurry to see what solders to what.

Here are the photos they sent me:
http://g01.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1BZrJKFXXXXc1XXXXq6xXFXXXb/Guitar-effect-pedal-clean-BOOSTER-BOOST-Guitar-Effect-Pedal-True-Bypass-BOOSTER-Kits.jpg

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAwMFgxMDAw/z/skUAAOSwZVlXjYQu/$_12.JPG?set_id=2

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAwMFgxMDAw/z/-osAAOSwaB5XjYQ0/$_12.JPG?set_id=2

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have everything done.. but when I plug a guitar cable into the input... and add a 9volt battery.... the LED does not light and the battery gets very hot quick so I have to pull the battery.   Obviously something is wrong.

Thanks soo much in advance!!!!

Cozybuilder

Re: Protaitone BOOST-1 Kit Build - HELP??
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 07:06:22 PM »
Can you post a clear photo of both sides of your board? With these a circuit tracing can be made, especially interested in how the circuit card traces for the power are laid out.
Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

musicguy79

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 07:42:26 PM »
Sure!   Will do!

musicguy79

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 08:08:26 PM »
This is the back of the board... mind my messy work... it's my first!

musicguy79

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 08:13:46 PM »
Front of board.... and yes I know I had 1 of the 1N4148 backwards... I removed it and fixed since.  I also reversed the cap above it... I read it doesn't matter about them with polarity... but I did it anyways cause I didn't like my alignment of it.

Cozybuilder

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 08:51:54 PM »

The 9V power plug is wired as per the drawing above. The tab labeled "battery" should be wired to the blurry circled point on the board below and left of the box labeled Batt+. Thats the yellow wire. The tab labeled "9V to board" should be wired to the board at the circle +9V, above the 5K1 resistor.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 09:01:25 PM by Cozybuilder »

musicguy79

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 09:25:56 PM »
Thank you for this... what part of the input guitar jack... do I solder to what part of the DC jack??

Cozybuilder

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 10:00:21 PM »

The sleeve will go to the ground on the board- this board has 6 of them, choose whichever you like. The ring will go to the ground on the 9V plug (green wire), and a second wire goes from that same point to the blurry circle below the rectangle on the board marked Batt - (orange wire with yellow stripe). The Battery clip black wire will go to the batt- box, red to batt+ box.

When a plug is inserted, it connects the power source grounds to the circuit. Remove the plug and the power source is disconnected by no ground connection. When a 9v plug is inserted, it disconnects the battery positive. Remove the 9V plug, and the battery pos is connected, but you need to install a " plug into the input jack to connect ground.

duck_arse

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 11:21:35 AM »
.... I also reversed the cap above it... I read it doesn't matter about them with polarity... but I did it anyways cause I didn't like my alignment of it.

when you say "above it" do you mean the orange one (plastic film, non-polarised, won't matter) or one of the black ones (electrolytic, polarised, marked minus goes away from board +, only works one way around)?
"I think we're done here."

"rule #1 - don't paraphrase."

'redundant legs don't grease the skids'

musicguy79

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2016, 03:04:57 PM »
The blue one with purple/green stripes... directly above the glass/orange/black one I had to reverse.

bloxstompboxes

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2016, 05:16:04 PM »
Don't think anyone mentioned this, but the stompswitch soldering needs some work. The bottom left lug does not look wetted to me. Otherwise looks good so far for a first time build.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

Cozybuilder

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2016, 05:32:48 PM »
The electrolytics look like they are oriented correctly. How is it working now?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 05:35:30 PM by Cozybuilder »

musicguy79

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2016, 06:07:45 PM »
Ok... so... given all the tips listed above (and thank you again very much for that!!)  I now have it passing signal.. and the LED lights when I press the switch...   BUT!!!!...  The potentiometer does nothing to effect the sound... and there is no audible difference in the signal either way.... in fact... i found that the signal is somewhat less... when I press the switch... then.... when not....   Could this maybe be the "wetted" switch terminal mentioned???   Or something else???   Thoughts??   I now see this as my first build and a test run... to learn the ropes etc... for $18 I feel it is an obviously affordable crash course!  hahaha,,, but I would like to get it working for sure if possible.

Proposed Artwork hahaha..
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 06:38:09 PM by musicguy79 »

Cozybuilder

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2016, 07:06:29 PM »
The PCB is a clone of the Zvex SHO, with a couple of component value changes; the two 1M resistors are 10M in the Zvex. First verify which MOSFET you have, it should be a BS170 for the correct pinout for this board. I suspect either the soldering of the MOSFET or the mossy itself. If its not a MOSFET, then that would be a problem too.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 07:19:25 PM by Cozybuilder »

musicguy79

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2016, 07:33:27 PM »
Well I will take it back apart and confirm... but this is what the parts list says from their listing...  Mine were slightly different...  like not including the actual washer or nut for the pot for instance!!   But... I can find one local Im sure.  Also my 2 black caps.... are the same size physically (unlike the picture) but are properly labeled as 10uf and 100uf.

Invi

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2016, 12:44:49 PM »
Did it work?

Was the MOSFET the problem?

Soldering issues?

I'm looking forward to get one of these as first project too!

Regards

cranedewd

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2016, 04:04:03 PM »
I think I bought the same exact kit about 3 months ago. I could not get it to work at all. It would send a bypass signal but nothing else. I ended up using the switch and box for a easy fuzz pedal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk