SHO question

Started by stallik, August 07, 2016, 08:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stallik

Would someone please knock some common sense into my tired old brain?
I've been chasing down a massive  switch pop on a BOR/SHO combo. I'm using the tagboard effects vero layout and have a DC voltage between ground and the sho output. It varies inversely with the volume pot - a few mv with the pot full up and 4v rolled off.
There's a 10uf electro just before the output which I kinda thought should block the DC. Am I wrong?
I've built a number of standalone sho's and know that Zvex say you have to stomp the switch a few times before it goes quiet (which my others do) but this one's having none of it.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

PRR

Well, replace that cap.

Observe polarity.
  • SUPPORTER

stallik

Thanks Paul, tried that, no joy, disconnected wiring to the switches and tried again. No DC from SHO section, none from the BOR either, connect the 2 and it creeps in. No time to fully investigate so shelving it till the weekend.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

LightSoundGeometry

Quote from: stallik on August 07, 2016, 08:07:43 PM
Would someone please knock some common sense into my tired old brain?
I've been chasing down a massive  switch pop on a BOR/SHO combo. I'm using the tagboard effects vero layout and have a DC voltage between ground and the sho output. It varies inversely with the volume pot - a few mv with the pot full up and 4v rolled off.
There's a 10uf electro just before the output which I kinda thought should block the DC. Am I wrong?
I've built a number of standalone sho's and know that Zvex say you have to stomp the switch a few times before it goes quiet (which my others do) but this one's having none of it.

hello, I am curious as to what you mean by this statement here. Are you saying the effect needs to be stomped on a few times to turn it off, and that is normal? I am asking because that doesnt sound good ! they should all go 1/0 on/off ?

stallik

The instructions say you have to stomp the pedal several times before the popping goes away. You have to do this each time you connect the pedal. The switch works as you would expect

blackieNYC

I have a standard PT2399 "tails" delay that does this.  I think that in the usual tails design there is DC on the switch.  Anyway, first time you turn it on there's a pop.  Then a cap is charged, I think, and the DC jump is not nearly as drastic so there is no pop the next time you hit it.  How long will this last?  not sure.  at least 5 minutes, maybe much more.  I can live with it.
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers