Dynacomp full debug

Started by Dimitree, February 17, 2010, 02:34:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drummer4gc

Replaced all electrolytics, no change. However, pin 2 and 3 of the ota are now reading .43 - .45 V. This is the only reading that seems off from the others posted in this thread. What could be causing that?

drummer4gc

All right, got it working by replacing the ca3080. One thing is strange though - everything I read about compressors say that it is typical to lose some volume, which makes sense. I've played a newer dyna comp, and that was definitely the case. This old script one with the new ca3080 has tons of gain on tap though - it could be used as a pretty serious boost! It sounds fine, but I'm wondering if something has gone wrong here....any thoughts?

cortezthekiller

I've got an old script dyna comp and it also has a fair amount of boost from 1 oclock onwards on the volume control.
Every dyna/ross comp I've made all seem to have some amount of boost available. Unless it's used with active pickups, in which
case the signal gets slightly attenuated.

ysba

Hi, ressurecting this tread again  8)

I created another thread before taking a good look at the forum... my bad...
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=114578.msg1063880#msg1063880

The main difference I got is that CA3080's pin 5 has 0.2V. I read in this thread that the normal values are between 0.4V and 0.7V. The circuit is heavily gating and distorting the sound.

May be the CA3080 damaged?

Ben Lyman

Quote from: ysba on July 19, 2016, 04:41:40 PM
...heavily gating and distorting...
mine too. 3 attempts at breadboarding, much advise carefully followed from the good, generous experts here. Finally gave up and built a Mictestors RCComp.

I bought 10 CA3080's cheap on eBay delivered from China. I am about 51% Convinced all 10 were counterfeits. I need to buy from a reputable dealer someday and try again.

Where did you buy your CA3080?
"I like distortion and I like delay. There... I said it!"
                                                                          -S. Vai

ysba

I bought just one unit from a local retailer. I don't know abou the part origin. I live in Brazil. Buying electronic parts here is a real pain.

ysba

Look what I found:

http://huebnerie.de/blog/2011/01/beware-of-the-fake-ca3080e/

There it says these counterfeit parts don't have a diode voltage drop from pin 5 to 4. Maybe this is related to the 0.2V I measured at pin 5. I'm not with my circuit right now. I'll check out later.

Yuri

Ben Lyman

Thanks, cool read. Now I want to know what I can do with 10 LM4250's! lol  ;D
                                                                          -S. Vai

PRR

> what I can do with LM4250

Earrings?

Or fake LM308 in that fuzz which sounds best with a poor opamp. Study and fiddle the bias currents.

It is not a natural gain-control like the '3080.
  • SUPPORTER

Ben Lyman

Earrings would have to be "clip-on" for me... hardeeharhar.
Maybe I could throw them in some fake cobweb decorations this Halloween... bah-dump tshh!!
                                                                          -S. Vai

ysba

So finally I got a solution. My problem was a counterfeit CA3080. Pin 5's voltage was low because the internal circuit is an unknown IC.

I bought another CA3080 from another retailer and this one works properlly.