Zendrive (madbeanpedals Serendipity) troubleshooting...

Started by gbkd80, August 17, 2016, 10:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gbkd80

In the last few days, I've built up 2 different Zendrive clones; one was a perfboard layout (but used the PCB etch), and the other was the MadBean Serendipity.  After I built up the first one, and I got no effect, I got discouraged because it's such a simple build that I ended up finding different layouts and went with the MadBean one, using the etch layout at the bottom of the page:

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/Serendipity/docs/Serendipity_ver.5.pdf

What's curious right now is that I get no bypass signal at all.  For all I know the effect works, if my bypass would work.  Looking at the wiring diagram on the PDF it's not a familiar wiring scheme that I'm used to.  I also, not that it matters, left out the battery because I drilled too far down the enclosure and left myself with no room  :icon_confused:  I do get power, and the LED turns on and off with the switch.  Here's a pic of the build in the enclosure:

I really don't think any of my off-board wiring is incorrect, but I could have a short somewhere, which I'm going to look at in a bit.  I should also get bypass regardless of power, right?  Notice the ring on the input jack is empty due to the missing battery, and the sleeve on the output is also empty, per the diagram. 

chuckd666

Your green wire on pin 7 of the 3PDT is going to ground/sleeve of your input jack, not the tip.

chuckd666

gbkd80

There are 2 green wires... one is actually the extra ground wire coming off the sleeve and back down to the power connector.  The dark green wire is going to the tip...

I even just tried a different jack and tried wiring different ways and still nothing.  Looking at a couple build pics on the web, is that switch wiring assuming a switch PCB is in place from the kit?

davent

Could the jumper be making contact with the center switch pole?

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

pappasmurfsharem

Quote from: davent on August 18, 2016, 12:20:47 AM
Could the jumper be making contact with the center switch pole?

dave

Zooming in using MSPAINT it doesn't seem like it is.

ALso comparing the build doc and your wiring it looks like you should at the very LEAST have bypass.

Do you have a multimeter?

Here is the closeup for others with OLD EYES =)

"I want to build a delay, but I don't have the time."

gbkd80

Heh... well, it works.   8)

And it's slightly embarrassing too, because I see how quickly everyone responded with really helpful information, and then I just pulled apart all the off-board wiring, including the switch, and rewired it all and it's working now.  Like I should learn my lesson by now to try those things before I bother everyone  ::)  I also found that my pots were cutting out so I re-soldered all those connections outside the box to make sure they were solid.  Seriously, though.. thank you everyone for taking a stab at helping me so quickly.  I really love that about this forum, that everyone is great at helping each other.  Hope to get to that level of building to where I can do the same. 

Best part though?  This pedal sounds great.  I used an OPA2604 since the general consensus in these builds said that one sounds great in the circuit, although I did buy a couple of AD712s... but I ordered surface-mount chips accidentally. 

Thanks again guys!  I'll post it again when I do some graphics etc...

pappasmurfsharem

Quote from: gbkd80 on August 18, 2016, 01:25:24 AM
Heh... well, it works.   8)

And it's slightly embarrassing too, because I see how quickly everyone responded with really helpful information, and then I just pulled apart all the off-board wiring, including the switch, and rewired it all and it's working now.  Like I should learn my lesson by now to try those things before I bother everyone  ::)  I also found that my pots were cutting out so I re-soldered all those connections outside the box to make sure they were solid.  Seriously, though.. thank you everyone for taking a stab at helping me so quickly.  I really love that about this forum, that everyone is great at helping each other.  Hope to get to that level of building to where I can do the same. 

Best part though?  This pedal sounds great.  I used an OPA2604 since the general consensus in these builds said that one sounds great in the circuit, although I did buy a couple of AD712s... but I ordered surface-mount chips accidentally. 

Thanks again guys!  I'll post it again when I do some graphics etc...

Great to hear.

Must have been a bad solder joint because the wiring looked alright

sssteeve

Can you tell us where you ordered the OPA2604? I've heard that there are a lot of counterfeit chips sold on eBay- or is that mainly for the discontinued ones which are hard to find? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

gbkd80

Yeah I got mine from Tayda...

I got an AD712 from Mouser at the same time but accidentally ordered surface mount...  Bought the OPA to try based on recommendations and ended up using it because it fit, for lack of a better explanation!

gbkd80

So I figured out the real problem with the pedal is that it won't pass signal unless the jacks are out of the box.  I'm using open jacks and they ground to the enclosure.  I can't seem to wire them in a way that makes sense.  For sake of making this work, couldn't I just use a plastic washer between the jack and enclosure to keep this from happening?

pappasmurfsharem

Quote from: gbkd80 on August 23, 2016, 05:09:45 PM
So I figured out the real problem with the pedal is that it won't pass signal unless the jacks are out of the box.  I'm using open jacks and they ground to the enclosure.  I can't seem to wire them in a way that makes sense.  For sake of making this work, couldn't I just use a plastic washer between the jack and enclosure to keep this from happening?

The centers of the jacks are supposed to ground to the case

Do you have a multimeter?

gbkd80

The tip was hitting the case and grounding....  :icon_rolleyes:

All good  ;)

chuckd666

gbkd80

Here's the finished pedal:

Was going for the traditional look- just for the record, white decals are a pain in the neck to work with!

Hemmel

Looks good !!

Just out of curiosity: why the DC jack close and below to input?
Is this easier for some reason? I've always done mine on "top" of the enclosure...
Bââââ.

Kipper4

Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

gbkd80

Quote from: Hemmel on August 24, 2016, 03:28:28 PM
Looks good !!

Just out of curiosity: why the DC jack close and below to input?
Is this easier for some reason? I've always done mine on "top" of the enclosure...

Because I F'ed it up and got lucky everything fit still LOL

287m

always love when diy-er stated 'clone' in enclosure
honest guy ftw!  ;)

Hemmel

Quote from: gbkd80 on August 24, 2016, 05:20:19 PM
Because I F'ed it up and got lucky everything fit still LOL

That's an awesome reason and outcome ;-)
Bââââ.