Mountain Leslie West - sounding fuzz

Started by Renegadrian, September 18, 2016, 06:35:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DougH

Quote from: wavley on September 27, 2016, 09:14:27 AM
Quote from: DougH on September 27, 2016, 08:03:18 AM
Quote from: wavley on September 26, 2016, 12:04:19 PM
Quote from: DougH on September 26, 2016, 11:39:21 AM
^The M67 pres are cheap enough. Looks like a fun thing to play with for recording, if nothing else. Hmmm...

The good thing is that there are sooo many of them out there that even the Gearslutz guys buying them and modifying them and HiFi guys buying them to harvest the transformers to use as step-up transformers for moving coil cartridges has only doubled the price from $30 to $60  ;D

Well, I bought one last night from Ebay. $60 including shipping. This should be interesting. I'm going to record some electric guitar with it and see what it does. I'm hoping this makes a nice different color crayon to color with. There's a youtube with a guy testing one out with his voice. You can definitely hear the bandwidth restriction and distortion when he turns it up.

If you're looking for a fun limiter to use on things the M267 from the next generation of those mixers, a really nice and musical squash on drums.  The amp circuit is op amp based so it's distortion is a little different, but not fundamentally so on a loud source because the input transformers saturate, and so will the output if you push it hard.  I keep attenuators on the outputs on all of mine so I can push them hard without clipping the interface, the same kind of thing but a different flavor than my green Altec stuff or what folks do with API preamps.

Thanks! I'll keep that one in mind too.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

Renegadrian

Quote from: roseblood11 on September 26, 2016, 03:53:15 AM
I watched a video some years ago, where a guy stated that this circuit comes close to the Leslie West sound:
http://www.redcircuits.com/Page91.htm

I made a veroboard , which was meant to be held in place by a board-mounted pot and the LED.
I don't remember exactly, but maybe I used an external pot instead of the trim pot.

It didn't sound bad, more like an overdrive than a fuzz, but it could need some more tweaking.

thx for the suggestion, I made a smaller vero layout some time ago but never built it...
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/Renegadrian/Fuzz-box.gif.html
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!