Boss MT-2 Metal Zone Schematic

Started by nickbungus, September 26, 2016, 10:20:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickbungus

I'll have a check when tonight if possible but I cant remember it doing that and I have tested all the pots
To the extreme, I rock a mic like a vandal.
Light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.

swever

I tried recording it with my phone but it wont cature the very high frequencies where all the undesired stuff happens. I will have to wait to receive my replacement RAM to get my recording PC up and running again so I can record with a proper microphone.

What I hear sounds like there is a certain threshold at which clipping occurs very abruptly creating a lot of harsh harmonics. It's much less noticeable once all or most of the signal is above that threshold. It becomes a lot more noticeable once the signal level jumps around that point, causing the harmonics to appear and dissapear quickly. Things like playing realy softly, setting the gain to minimum or playing (heavily) palm muted notes/power chords makes this stuff really prominent.

swever

Just wanted to inform that the issue completely fixed by replacing the first opamp (U03) from lm358 to a 4558. Now everything is smooth and nice at any gain level.

I am still tweaking mine after all these months... loving this so much. All the time I keep on finding ways to make this thing sound more like I want. Gotta build the final board and box it up someday  :icon_cool:

swever

I guess I'm done with modding and I finished my clean pcb yesterday. Just need to box this bad guy up now. This is going to be some kind of special box for sure.

Anyway, here's a few pics:

And, more importantly, here are samples I've recorded: 1, 2, 3

nickbungus

Sounds great. I'll never understand why people diss the mz. 
To the extreme, I rock a mic like a vandal.
Light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.