yet another ValveCaster thread

Started by cnspedalbuilder, September 26, 2016, 12:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cnspedalbuilder

I am planning to get materials to build the Matsumin ValveCaster so I can dip a toe into the world of tube circuits. Right now, planning to build off of the "compact" vero layout here: http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2014/01/matsumin-valve-caster.html

This is one of the better demos I've heard: https://youtu.be/3cMqYlhSQ8c. The stock circuit is known to be "dark" (too much for me) and the demos I have seen have this "grainy" or "sputtery" breakup. I am looking for something more Marshall-y with a "creamy" breakup. So:

1. Are there a simple changes to the circuit to get the sound I'm looking for?
2. I've seen a lot of people argue this sounds "better" at 12V. How is it better, and is it just a matter of feeding in a 12V adapter input?
3. I thought about putting a boost circuit in front of this, like an Apollo bass/treble or a DAM Red Rooster. Something simple with a single tone pot, and maybe the volume would be done with a dual gang pot that also runs the gain of the valvecaster circuit. Would this be as simple as running the boost output into the input of the valvecaster circuit or would there be issues with getting enough power from the 9V input?
4. With the vero valvecaster and boost circuits, would a 1590B or 125B enclosure would work or is it tight enough that a 1590BB would be preferred to allow some margin for error?

Thanks for your expert opinions.

vigilante397

One of the biggest slippery slopes of the valvecaster is trying to make it something it isn't. You could remove the tone control of the stock design and use a different EQ circuit, but you have to be careful not to go too big or you'll lose a lot of gain. If you're looking for a rich, saturated Marshall sound you will not find it in the valvecaster.

In the case of 12V, better in this case means more clean headroom. It won't drive as quickly. This can aid to get rid of some of the inherent fizziness, but you won't get as much drive without something in front.

As for putting a boost in front, this is going to depend on what power supply you're using. The valvecaster uses a fair bit of current, but something like a One Spot that has more than enough current on tap would be sufficient to run a valvecaster and several other pedals at the same time.

Personally I find 1590B to be plenty of room and have done several in 1590B's, but if you're nervous I would go for a 125A. 1590BB is a bit of overkill in my opinion, unless you have some awesome ideas for artwork that requires a bigger canvas.

Hope this helps :) It really is a sweet circuit and a fun and easy build 8)
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com