Guyatone's PS-021 Guitar Exciter/Compressor

Started by Tham, September 26, 2016, 10:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

albru80

Thank you for the schematic!
I want to draw a layout but I'm not sure about something:
to completely eliminate the flip flop switching from the schematic would you get rid of Q9, Q10, Q11, R15, R16, R20, R40, R41, R69 and C10?

digi2t

Hmmm, I see 3 jfets for the flip-flop bypass. Are two connected to the same side of the flip-flop?

Never mind. The schematic of the Boss OD2 just answered my question. :icon_wink:
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

aion

Mark, thank you so much for that analysis! Such a great writeup.

Mark Hammer

My pleasure.  A whole lot easier to do with a nicely-drawn schematic to work from!

gigimarga

Hello all!
Anyone have built it? I've just finished (using this vero: http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.ro/2017/11/guyatone-ps-021-guitar-exciter.html) but it didn't work as I heard in demos: it has a low level and distorted output. All the pot seems to work OK.
In the schematic, the 22K trimpot looks strange to me. In all Dynacomp variants, it is only 2K. Maybe this could be a problem?

Thank you!

R O Tiree

Quote from: digi2t on October 31, 2017, 03:00:57 PM
Hmmm, I see 3 jfets for the flip-flop bypass. Are two connected to the same side of the flip-flop?

Never mind. The schematic of the Boss OD2 just answered my question. :icon_wink:

It's been a while since I did any of this stuff... but I'm not seeing what Q9 does.
...you fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way...

aion

Quote from: R O Tiree on December 10, 2017, 04:29:07 PM
It's been a while since I did any of this stuff... but I'm not seeing what Q9 does.

I think it's just a second turn-off point because it's such a large circuit. They mute the signal in two places in bypass, which happen to correspond to the input of the first half and the input of the second half, although there isn't any way of tapping into just one of the effects.

R O Tiree

Thanks, aion.

But how cool would it be to have the facility to select "Dynacomp" only (insert compressor circuit to taste), "exciter" only or "both"... ?

A couple of flip-flops + LEDs and associated momentary push-to-make switches, another JFET or 2 (I'd need to work that out), and Robert is one of your parents' siblings.  You could have the comp part of the circuit as a daughter-board, so people could choose from a variety or roll their own.  A standard Orange Squeezer is a very sweet circuit as is and (having built lots of comps) doesn't seem to have anywhere near the noise associated with a CA3080-based topology (never built a 13700-based one, so I don't have a feel for noise on those).  Optos are also nice-sounding... You could have all the components of the switching system on the main board, leaving only V+, GND, Vin and Vout as the only connections needed to the daughter-board.
...you fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way...

aion

Quote from: R O Tiree on December 22, 2017, 05:03:15 PM
Thanks, aion.

But how cool would it be to have the facility to select "Dynacomp" only (insert compressor circuit to taste), "exciter" only or "both"... ?

A couple of flip-flops + LEDs and associated momentary push-to-make switches, another JFET or 2 (I'd need to work that out), and Robert is one of your parents' siblings.  You could have the comp part of the circuit as a daughter-board, so people could choose from a variety or roll their own.  A standard Orange Squeezer is a very sweet circuit as is and (having built lots of comps) doesn't seem to have anywhere near the noise associated with a CA3080-based topology (never built a 13700-based one, so I don't have a feel for noise on those).  Optos are also nice-sounding... You could have all the components of the switching system on the main board, leaving only V+, GND, Vin and Vout as the only connections needed to the daughter-board.

It would be pretty tricky to retrofit into a real PS-021 with the FET switching and all. But I may end up doing just the exciter portion as its own board (alongside the full PS-021 circuit) depending on how different I feel it sounds from the BBE Sonic Maximizer, which uses some of the same principles but is a lot more flexible (see my Lumin project).

digi2t

I went through my unit, and I took the liberty (using Aion's schematic) to fill in the rest of the blanks...

What I find really interesting is the indicator LED circuit. Personally, I find the color representation backwards (red = good, green = bad), but maybe it's a Japanese thing, or they simply inserted the LED backwards on the line.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK