DS1 KEELEY MOD - BYPASS WITH "CRUNCHY" SOUND

Started by MusedreaM, May 30, 2021, 04:07:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MusedreaM

Good evening dears,
I'm facing an issue i never seen before  :o
I did the keeley mod on my boss ds1 (not diy) .
Now, everything works BUT when i switch off the pedal, a little distortion is still there, and the signal is crunchy.
I checked and checked but i really can't understand what part of the circuit could cause this strange issue.

Does anyone have ever had this problem before?

Thank you so much for any suggestion

Alessandro

Marcos - Munky

Welcome.

Random-ish question. What are you using to power it?

MusedreaM

Thank you so much for your welcome and reply  :)

Well, i'm using Truetone SPOT power supply
Before the Keeley Mod, it worked well in bypass mode, so something goes wrong during it..
I build effects since 2006,but i never never worked on a "non diy" circuit.. I generally bypass the pcb with the 3PDT footswitch wiring, so i'm quite confused about buffered ones

:o

anotherjim

Do the controls do anything audible while it is bypassed? A thing with those buffered bypass pedals can be audible signal leakage through the electronic switching if the signal level has been increased a lot.

MusedreaM

Well, that's the first thing i tried to do and NOPE, controls seems to have not effect on the crunchy sound.
The keeley mod doesn't touch the bypass part of the circuit, BUT maybe one of the capacitors is evolved in the "clean line" part of it.
I' m trying to understand if one of the components i soldered could work in a bad way.
Have a look to the schematic

And here it is the back of the circuit.
Everything has been soldered in the right way

antonis

In case of you use a stereo IN jack, try to unplug IN plug..
(no power to the circuit..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

anotherjim

Check the 4.5v places on the schematic. The in & out buffers and switching won't be clean if that 4.5v is too badly wrong.

antonis

Quote from: MusedreaM on May 31, 2021, 09:00:46 AM
I generally bypass the pcb with the 3PDT footswitch wiring

Does the above stand for particular effect..??
(if yes, plz post a schematic of bypass wiring points..)
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

MusedreaM

Quote from: anotherjim on June 01, 2021, 07:44:52 AM
Check the 4.5v places on the schematic. The in & out buffers and switching won't be clean if that 4.5v is too badly wrong.

Ok, the only part touched by the mods, and evolved in the 4.5V, is the clipping diodes one. So D4 and D5. I'll check them, maybe one of the components works wrong.

Thank you for the suggestion

I'll let you know

MusedreaM

Does the above stand for particular effect..??
(if yes, plz post a schematic of bypass wiring points..)

I usually build effects on my own, but if you are looking for a footswitch bypass on ds1 effect, here you are the steps:

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=61035.0

Maybe i'll do that, as last chance to resolve that issue

antonis

Thank you for that but I just asked for your particular bypass schematic to see if effect is totally bypassed.. :icon_wink:

MusedreaM

Oooh i'm really sorry for the misunderstanding.
I didn't bypass this circuit by wiring, i'd like to solve the issue without drilling a new hole for the footswitch  ;D

duck_arse

you need to check all those circled tracks - some have been "cut" with a knife slip - you should probably just bridge across each w/ a resistor leg cut-off, just to be sure. the one on the right looks like a gouge. also ensure the pointed-at cap leg is not in contact with the track below it.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

MusedreaM

Yep, it looks knifed, but it was in this way when i opened it the first time (unbelievable).
However, I did all the continuity tests on every point of the board, everything sounds in the right way.

The left leg of the ceramic cap doesn't touch the board, but i'll try to put a little piece of sleeve to be shure, thank you for the alert

MusedreaM

SOLVED  :icon_biggrin:

The clipping diode didn't work properly.
Replaced with another one: solved

Thank you all for the suggestions