breaded up a son of screamer..however..

Started by deadastronaut, November 03, 2016, 12:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadastronaut

hi guys, yes, i am the only person on earth who hasn't ever built/breaded a screamer ...

so after all these years i bit the bullet and breaded one up

a  'son of screamer' on the AMZ site,

and added the 'tone 4'' control, much better tone control imo... 8)

all very nice, and is great as a clean boost too...nice tone etc...

however..i'm looking for just a bit more drive....i checked RG's add a little more dirt mod..
but it didnt cut it..

what 'overdrives'  are similar, but have a little more kick?....

and i'll bread it up..(i tried the SRV 2M gain pot too) but meh...

cheers rob 8)

page 1 of 38.. ;)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

thermionix

What is the "Tone 4" control?  I looked around the AMZ site but couldn't find anything.

Groovenut

You've got to love obsolete technology.....

287m

Rob, i think you must look to zombie screamer
so, you complete the journey as Zombie Astronaut  :icon_mrgreen:

samhay

but I don't think he needs to be able to see the schematic from space:

Rob - perhaps try a mod'd Blues Breaker instead:

You can add clipping diodes to both op-amp stages and increase the gain of the first stage by dropping the 22k and 33k resistors (and re-scale caps).
You get 2 stages that can clip, so will be more harmonically interesting/a little closer to things you are familiar with.
I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

slashandburn

Quote from: deadastronaut on November 03, 2016, 12:30:45 PM

what 'overdrives'  are similar, but have a little more kick?....

Is that a trick question?   Surely every tubescreamer derivative ever made claims to have "more kick".   ;)  The TS gain stage was the only circuit I felt I knew for quite a while (Now i know 2!  ha)   Im sure I defaulted to always using values around  500k pot over a 3.3k resistor and a .22u  and was always happy with what I could get with it.    The Tube Reamer from ROG was the first of three I built as actual pedals, and the only one I still use.   

There's a FAT mod but I never tried it. Might be worth a look if you haven't seen it already.

anotherjim

I too have never made or owned a tube screamer in any shape or form.
Now that Rob has - I AM THE ONLY ONE!
Although I do have the parts somewhere

thermionix

Surely my favorite pedals ever, I've had several over the years, and now have two homemade knockoffs.  But they really don't sound great on their own, the magic happens when run into a good tube amp that's cranked up to power tube saturation.  Getcha a pre-AB165 Bassman head or a Marshall 1987, leave those high-gain toys at home for the chilluns to play with.

Ben Lyman

Rob, have you ever tried an OCD? It's not for everyone but it's kinda screamery with more distortion.
"I like distortion and I like delay. There... I said it!"
                                                                          -S. Vai

Cozybuilder

Quote from: thermionix on November 03, 2016, 09:57:46 PM
Surely my favorite pedals ever, I've had several over the years, and now have two homemade knockoffs.  But they really don't sound great on their own, the magic happens when run into a good tube amp that's cranked up to power tube saturation.  Getcha a pre-AB165 Bassman head or a Marshall 1987, leave those high-gain toys at home for the chilluns to play with.

+1 on pre-AB165 Bassman head. Run that into a pair of D130F JBLs, and you have pure magic.
Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

J0K3RX

Google HAO Rust Driver.. it's got a bit more kick than your standard TS. Kick it up again and stick the Rust drive in a box with an MXR micro amp. They are both stupid simple but sound great! Another nice thing is they both have only 1 knob and low parts count so it's easy to fit into your standard TS808 footprint.. Kinda the same idea as the Majik Box - Rocket Fuel which is no more that a tube screamer and a micro amp but they are so damn good together!
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

deadastronaut

Cheers guys, looks like ive got a lot of little breadboarding projects to get through...

i ll try them all as im loaded up with a bstd cold...and never watch tv...

to the breaboard.....covered in snot...

the bluesbreaker wuth 2 sets of clipping idea sounds a nice start...back later.     

Only 37 more pages to go... ;)

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

bluebunny

Quote from: deadastronaut on November 03, 2016, 12:30:45 PM
hi guys, yes, i am the only person on earth who hasn't ever built/breaded a screamer ...

OMG.  The Universe shall surely end.
...in 37 pages time!   ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

bluebunny

Quote from: deadastronaut on November 04, 2016, 02:27:20 AM

BTW, remember to open the space helmet if you're gonna sneeze.  Just sayin'...   :o
  • SUPPORTER

feddozz

Quote from: bluebunny on November 04, 2016, 04:41:45 AM
Quote from: deadastronaut on November 04, 2016, 02:27:20 AM

BTW, remember to open the space helmet if you're gonna sneeze.  Just sayin'...   :o

[Little OT!]
Ha ha. This reminds me of a song written by an Italian humoristic band, they are called "Elio e le storie tese".

The song is called "Astronauta pasticcione" (messy astronaut) and it's about this astronaut that is caught short in space and has to poo in his space suit. The song goes on about his calleauges that refuse to let him back on board and his "mistical" experience of being in space sniffing his effluents.

Generally, the lyrics of their songs are hilarious and they are technically not bad. All in italian though!
[/Little OT!]
And "dog balls on your face"...

deadastronaut

Sounds great...i might end up doing that, i nearly coughed up a kidney earlier.. :o

bluebunny

Mind those kidneys!   :icon_eek:

Not sure if it's quite what you're after, but I quite liked my Tube Reamer by ROG.  So much so that my mate bought it off me.   :icon_confused:   I think the simplicity may have contributed.  And with fewer parts, you'd have it breaded in no time.
  • SUPPORTER

duck_arse

Quote from: anotherjim on November 03, 2016, 07:24:01 PM
I too have never made or owned a tube screamer in any shape or form.
Now that Rob has - I AM THE ONLY ONE!
Although I do have the parts somewhere

nope. you is one of the only ones. I did, however, build a tim for a bloke. does that count?

actually, i'm just helping with the page count. are we at two yet?

[Little OT!]
when Alexei Leonov, the great man, made the first spacewalk, he left the capsule ok, but when he tried to get back inside, he'd expanded and was too big for the hatch, went close to being a deadcosmonaut. he might have filled some space while he was extra vehicular.
[/Little OT!]
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

bluebunny

Quote from: duck_arse on November 04, 2016, 10:34:55 AM
while he was extra vehicular

That is a great euphemism, duck.  Must remember it for use later.

"Sorry, I just went extra-vehicular."   :icon_redface:
  • SUPPORTER

Ben Lyman

I'm a big fan of the TS into a Marshall JCM800, that was my entire set up for almost 20 years. Only... it wasn't an Ibanez Tubescreamer, it was a Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive. I tried an Ibanez for maybe 3 gigs, then went right back to the Boss. For one, the footswitch on the Boss was way more sure to engage, even if I was stumbling and barely hit the target, the Ibanez was hit&miss with soft bottom sneakers. I also felt like the Boss just had something special in the tone, maybe it was my imagination, I don't know.

Anyway, I wanted to board an SD-1 anyway so here's a sample. It's just a cheap Fender Champion 600 but it might inspire you to give it a try. One cool mod that I show is to change the Boss' 3 asymmetrical clipping diodes to 2 like the TS. It cuts a little of the boost but adds a little extra distortion/compression. Plenty of volume boost is available to make up for that and the mod would be easy enough to put on a switch if wanted.
https://youtu.be/gZK8VO6Al5w

As mentioned, these pedals really shine when run into a cranked tube amp. Unfortunately, I can't demo that at the moment, so here's a little demo of the SD1 into a cranked LM386 with aa 4" Sony TV speaker  :P
https://youtu.be/SpbeOvyXhPY

I still have the same SD-1 that I got back in the mid 1980's, love it to death. It was only recently that I heard some rumors that the Fulltone Fulldrive II is based on an SD-1 and also that Zak Wylde used an SD-1 before MXR made him a signature Wylde Overdrive, which might also be an SD-1 circuit.
"I like distortion and I like delay. There... I said it!"
                                                                          -S. Vai