Author Topic: Help building Foxx tone machine circuit?  (Read 3710 times)

royzbluz

Help building Foxx tone machine circuit?
« on: December 13, 2016, 11:38:09 PM »
Hey there, total noob here. I've built an Astro Tone kit successfully and now I am building a Foxx tone clone. My first mistake was thinking I could, all on my own figure how to adjust the design for a 3pdt foot switch with led instead of the spdt toggle the kit came with. Mostly the biggest problem with that was trying to move my onboard pots to fit the upgraded 1590bb instead of 1590b the kit came with and basically I just made the way amateur mistake if not really thinking through how it would fit before I started drilling.🤔 Anywho I've managed to salvage everything and am going to go back to basics and make I the way the kit suggests, however I am confused because the PCB has 2 9v lugs and 2 G lugs here is a pic of both the diagram I received with kit and my wiring so far if anyone can help me figure this out it would be much appreciated. On a side my next project will be the npn boost beginner project because I'd like to actually learn how make a circuit from scratch and not just build these "paint by numbers" kits I've been building. Again any input/ advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you kindly
Justin

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

royzbluz

Re: Help building Foxx tone machine circuit?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 11:44:13 PM »
Hey there, total noob here. I've built an Astro Tone kit successfully and now I am building a Foxx tone clone.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 12:14:59 AM by royzbluz »

chuckd666

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 12:54:46 AM »
9V is 9V and G is G - Just connect whichever 9V is closest to your power supply jack.

For instance, if you wired the topmost 9V pad to your power supply jack at the top of the enclosure, you could use the bottom one as the 9V supply for your indicator LED (via a current limiting resistor). That bottom ground pad could be used for similar purposes.

OK now having looked over your picture a little better, you can just use those two pads unconnected, just ensure those bottom ones are connected to the appropriate places. The G needs to go to ground, which will be your enclosure - in most instances it will ground to this via the sleeve of your input jack - you can check this connection by getting your multimeter and checking for continuity between the enclosure and the sleeve. The 9V pad should go to your 9V jack :)

royzbluz

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 01:04:26 AM »
Thanks does  my led wiring seem to be acceptable if I then connect the other +9v to the board 9v and then all I I have to do is 9v ground to board ground to jack ground right?

duck_arse

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 09:34:04 AM »
royzbluz - welcome to the forum.

I hate looking at bypass switch wiring, but tell me, what wires are missing from yours?
"I think we're done here."

"rule #1 - don't paraphrase."

'redundant legs don't grease the skids'

royzbluz

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 02:04:54 PM »
I haven't wired the jacks yet so I guess I need ground from board to jacks to switch I guess and also attach 9v posie and ground to board

smallbearelec

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 05:05:45 PM »
I'm glad that you figured out that you want to get beyond paint-by-number kits. Part of doing that is learning to use a solderless breadboard and making yourself follow a schematic. My Ursa Minor is very similar to the beginner boost, but it incorporates some mods and tweaks that make it more interesting, IMO. The breadboarding How-To is here:

http://diy.smallbearelec.com/HowTos/BreadboardUrsaMinor/BreadboardUrsaMinor.htm

and a full kit with a small breadboard is available:

http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/breadboard-the-ursa-minor/

If you like what you create on the breadboard, you can build it on PCB like one of those paint-by-number kits

http://diy.smallbearelec.com/Projects/UrsaMinor/UrsaMinor.htm

OR I can send you a layout for building on perfboard. That's how I do prototypes...much more difficult than PCB, but also more educational.

Welcome to DIY madness, and to the Forum.

royzbluz

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 05:31:10 PM »
Thanks smallbear, I almost ordered the Ursa breadboard kit today actually but money's a little tight with Christmas and all so I just got some hook up wire and lug sockets, the Ursa kit will be my next pedal related purchase for sure though😉

royzbluz

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 07:21:04 PM »
Disregard comment above, I purchased the breadboard kit anyhow.😆