EQD Bellows breadboard layout, Does this look correct?

Started by Fndr8875, January 28, 2017, 10:20:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plexi

You're right midwayfair
I was thinking in try some MPSA18 there
To you, buffered bypass sucks tone.
To me, it sucks my balls.

midwayfair

Quote from: Plexi on February 01, 2017, 09:45:40 AM
You're right midwayfair

MPSA18 is just a normal NPN BJT transistor. It's higher gain than the 2N3904, but it's still the same type of transistor and it won't make much of a difference. I'm not discouraging you from trying it but I wouldn't spend my money on one if it wasn't already on hand.

The MPSA13 on the other hand is a darlington transistor, and it legitimately sounds and behaves differently in this type of circuit.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

Plexi

Quote from: midwayfair on February 01, 2017, 10:49:57 AM
Quote from: Plexi on February 01, 2017, 09:45:40 AM
You're right midwayfair

MPSA18 is just a normal NPN BJT transistor. It's higher gain than the 2N3904, but it's still the same type of transistor and it won't make much of a difference. I'm not discouraging you from trying it but I wouldn't spend my money on one if it wasn't already on hand.

The MPSA13 on the other hand is a darlington transistor, and it legitimately sounds and behaves differently in this type of circuit.

Thanks for the advise.
What you know about the KSP13?
Same coffee in different cup?

Plexi

duck_arse

QuoteWhat you know about the KSP13?
Same coffee in different cup?

comparing the two datasheets, it looks like the original Motorola MPSA part has been copied by Fairchild, and renumbered as KSP, with the datasheet slightly simplified and updated.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

rutabaga bob

Nice little demo!  This thread has wooed me into building one...there is a nice-looking little 7x16 version at effectslayouts.blogspot.  If you add a couple of rows to the depth, you can use board-mounted pots.
Life is just a series of obstacles preventing you from taking a nap...

"I can't resist a filter" - Kipper

Plexi

Quote from: rutabaga bob on February 02, 2017, 10:14:48 AM
Nice little demo!  This thread has wooed me into building one...there is a nice-looking little 7x16 version at effectslayouts.blogspot.  If you add a couple of rows to the depth, you can use board-mounted pots.

That's the one I used!  ;D
As you can see, both pots are board mounted: but the Gain pot is upside down because the big 22nf cap didn't left space to the short pins pot.
I'll solve that when box the pedal: maybe put that cap in the solder side of the board.

rutabaga bob

Life is just a series of obstacles preventing you from taking a nap...

"I can't resist a filter" - Kipper

Fndr8875

Nice work Plexi!

Ive been wanting to do a 1590a build, so im waiting on some 9mm pots, and low profile electos. Also some decent resistors. im so @#$%ing sick of these cheap ones that are literally thinner than a strand of my hair, ive got thick hair.

Also thanks to Rullywow Diptrace Library i finally getting the hang of Diptrace. So im working on layouts for the Speaker Cranker and the Bellows. Also thanks to Paul, the diyguitar pedals guy for his diptrace tutorials onlline. Things are starting to click as far as understanding schematics and stuff. Got a yihua solder station, with a hakko tip, it works so so, i mean compared to what ive used before it works great but im gonna go ahead with weller whatever 51, want an analogue on, the hakkos look cool but the digital interface i crap IMO i dont wanna press 10-15 buttons to change temp. As some lady on youtube said like 5 years ago Aint no body got time for that!

Im trying to be patient and get all that together before i start building again, i thew a bunch of stuff out bc work area was just a total @#$%ing mess, various piles of resistors and capacitors and whatever everywhere. So gonna start over, parts come in and get put in label organizer immediately, and no more vero or perf, forcing myself to work things out on breadboard, then if its something worth building ill either order pcb or do one in diptrace. New year new habits.

Fndr8875

definitly worth boxing up plexi your build sounds great, as for a box to mountin , pots in that are on diff sides of board pointing in different directions,  well gonna be interesting looking lol...jk, im sure you could just unsolder and use little hookup wire on one of pots. Ive only dont one build with onboard pots, thing i dont like about them is drilling enlosure and making everything fit w no stress on anything. But w only 2 pots id be fine doing it. idk how many pedals youve built or if you have a drill press or what. I dont just a black and decker 18 volt , I always use a drill template, got the harbor freight auto punch and step bits, and i use painters tape to mark whrere to stop, but wo a drill press seems like holes are always a bit uneven, plus i dont have anything to clamp box down, so i guess those will go on the list , if im gonna do wanna be happy w how it turns out. more the most part up until recently if it worked that was all i cared about, but i kinda drives me crazy now ow this knob is off a litle this or that way or how messy guts are.  Wonder if a speaker cranker and a bellows in a 1590bb would work well, a boost and fuzz w 2 footswitches inst anything i havent seen a bunch of before. i guess ill get the breadboar back out this week and see how they interact together.

stonerbox

Quote from: Plexi on February 01, 2017, 08:00:55 AM
I builded the Speaker Cranker a few weeks ago.
The best Electra dist version, IMHO.

I used 1N4148 instead 1N60: I'll try soon with some MPSA13 instead 2N3904.

"More" knob, it's worth repeating that is 'more' a od control than volume.
You can add master volume at the end if you want, but kills the magic.

When you can't tell for sure if the pedal sounds good but the playing makes your face melt.
There is nothing more to be said or to be done tonight, so hand me over my violin and let us try to forget for half an hour the miserable weather and the still more miserable ways of our fellowmen. - Holmes

Fndr8875

hey midway, yea as most ppls first builds seem to be bzz fuss, to me when i hear mpsa13 i hear bazz fuss. plus i dont see them used to often, but when i do i try to buld it .itbought even falling out of sockets, so if i ue one i just solder one leg to  the socket. now smallbears were diff story with the gold plating, idk what taydas are made out of . but i figure stok up on trannys and breadboard until you have one that sounds is acceptable to you then use some heatsinks to protet from heat when soldering. my builds have come out for sturday and beeter

I was stuck on Walrus audio mayflower, they use 2 in heres and couldnt tell if they were buffers or what, but not gonna mes with that, jut gonna build a many EQDs as possible, thats what kck im on rigt now.

Plexi

rutabaga bob
yes.. at the first sight are a total mess... maybe the anxiety of test asap  :icon_rolleyes:  ;D
But when I box, I try to put all as clean as possible.

Fndr8875
Sure! At least, I always try to have one pot mounted on, to hold the board (if not, I have to wrap it in tape to prevent false contacts).
I use the old method: measuring meticulously, drill with a 3mm wick, and then use a step drill (4 to 12mm)

stonerbox
Thanks!  ::)

Plexi

Quote from: Fndr8875 on February 03, 2017, 07:11:04 AM
hey midway, yea as most ppls first builds seem to be bzz fuss, to me when i hear mpsa13 i hear bazz fuss. plus i dont see them used to often, but when i do i try to buld it .itbought even falling out of sockets, so if i ue one i just solder one leg to  the socket. now smallbears were diff story with the gold plating, idk what taydas are made out of . but i figure stok up on trannys and breadboard until you have one that sounds is acceptable to you then use some heatsinks to protet from heat when soldering. my builds have come out for sturday and beeter

I was stuck on Walrus audio mayflower, they use 2 in heres and couldnt tell if they were buffers or what, but not gonna mes with that, jut gonna build a many EQDs as possible, thats what kck im on rigt now.

Try this one!:
http://effectslayouts.blogspot.com.ar/2016/10/walrus-audio-mayflower.html
It avoid the buffer

Fndr8875

ive literally got that one etched and drilled, guess i didnt look close enough at it to see it didnt have the buffers. You seem familliar enough with ELB that you know you can download the whole transfer library, so, i dont have a laser printer, i used adobe acrobat, and use the edit function to copy and paste the layouts i want to build or think i want to build , at the time it was just hey lets get one of every cool pedal i ever heard of printed. when you put 2  of each effect on the pdf you can fit A LOT per page, so id do that, then go to office depot and print on thinest gloss darkest resoluton, ive got a bag that some 8x10 copper clad came in filled to the brim w transfers, i also got a laminator, and jus went crazy etching, needles to say the 20 dollar laminator broke in like a week. but i was using double sided radioshack copper. didnt get hte change to try single sided, ABCFAB on ebay hasreally nice stuff got 3 8x10" 1 ounce copper for 9 bucks shipped. I bet if i used that it woul hold up. Buy yea my fav out of the transparent/tubescreamer/timmy whatevers is the Wampler Euphoria or Ecstasy, they changed the name but still the same pedal. Walrus does have some damn fine hardware an graphics designers though. back to the mpsa13 even though its not in that layout, i think it would be a waste to use them for a buffer. they only cost pennies, but id rather save them for something special like the bellows where it is essential for the circuit. they make an mpsa14 where the gain is something like 10000 hfe, the 13 is 5000 range. My guess is its the mpsa18 doesnt have enought gain for something like bellows or bazz fuss and the 13 totally saturates it, not sure how the fet effects it, and have been very curious as to how designers select pot values and sizes on something like this. Prob sound stop talking because the things i know take up like 3 words, and the rest is my guess, id say educated guess bc i was unable to breadboard from a schematic 2 weeks ago, then one day it was just like ok i see, and ics made sense so sorry if im bugging yall, but its an awesome feeling to start grasping something you spen 2 years trying to "get". Hoping better equipmwnr will give me those shiny solder joints and pedals working first time. ok cool, thanks everyone for post (even thought no one actually looked at my breaboard layout, which was point of thread :'( haha jk splat it together tommorow. I would like to do somemore, as they are scare and it frustrated me a lot at first when i realized you got a few left over from beavis, and the french guys site and thats about all..

Plexi

I do the same with the transfers: put about 8 in one page, and then print in office depot  ;D

I don't know about the MPSA18.
Remember that they are different specimens: 13 is a Darlington (two transistors in formation), and 18 is a common transistor, very similar to 2N5088.

Fndr8875

oh im familiar w the diff, started with several bazz fuss bulids, then about 10 devi ever builds, bc hey all u need is 10k resistors 100nf  caps 2.2m, 3.3m, mpsa18s, and couple 2n2907  resistors and some 100kpots, she did have some more complex circuits but my fave were soda meiser and hyperion. Hyperion was on of my first builds, its pretty sic,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk6qdFInfUU

i think that sounds pretty awesome considering it was recorded with a honeytone mini amp, a 100$ guitar, and jus an iphone external mic