Aion Comet DS-1 help.

Started by broomhandle, January 30, 2017, 11:43:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broomhandle

I am still new to the pedal building game. 4th build....

the Aion Comet DS-1 clone. all built, it has pass thru, but when engaged, no LED or its just nothing. also when engaged when i go thru the on-off-on switch i hear cracking....

I feel that I maybe messed up the LED diodes. that they should be on the ends...

or my other thought... ground... is it grounded to the board?

any help? Did i mess up anything else? you guys are smarter than me... haha

Ds mistake

slacker

Quote from: broomhandle on January 30, 2017, 11:43:53 AM
or my other thought... ground... is it grounded to the board?

Yeah the board needs to be grounded, from your pictures it looks like it isn't, you need a wire from "GND" on the board to the DC jack. If you look at diagram on page 7 of the build doc https://www.dropbox.com/s/k3d93su9d48k8cd/aion-comet-ds1-documentation.pdf?dl=1 it shows one way to do it by connecting the "GND" pad to the sleeve of the input jack, but you could just run a wire from the board straight back to the DC jack, which would do the same thing.

broomhandle

ok cool, i thought that was the case, but was not sure with the foot switch pcb board. I will prob ground to the side jack. easier i think..

does anybody know if the led diodes are ok soldered like that?

bluebunny

Quote from: broomhandle on January 30, 2017, 02:15:46 PM
does anybody know if the led diodes are ok soldered like that?

I would say not.  If you look at your board and on the documentation, the "gap" amongst those four diode pads is right in the middle.  Each outer pair appears to be connected by a trace.  This is so that you can accommodate LEDs or e.g. DO-35 diodes.  So you need to shift your D4 right and D5 left.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

broomhandle

ok, I thought so... Also it loos like it requires 3mm instead of what i used 5mm..

thank you...

Will have to find some time to make both repairs..  ;)

broomhandle

Well, I am at a loss....

I have grounded to the jack, and fixed the LED diodes.

now....

when I give it power and hook it up... it dose nothing. when i unplug it from the amp side, and re-plug it in. it has pass thru, but sounds like the tone on my guitar is all the way turned down. when i engage the switch its the same thing. when I turn off the switch. it turns off. no pass thru. I can unplug the amp side and its back....

any ideas?

bloxstompboxes

It appears your output jack tip may be grounding itself to the enclosure. See in the pic circled below. Is that part of your jack touching the enclosure? It may only do it when you plug the cable in. If so, you should be able to rotate the jack so it doesn't make contact anymore.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

broomhandle

So, I checked the jack. it was not touching. But i did move it. same thing.

what happens is. i plug it in, and no pass thru. i engage it. the volume is so low and (tone flat) i disengage it. sound is coming thru but sounds just like when it is engaged.... I figured out, if i unplug the pedal. the volume goes to normal volume. but still sounds like the (tone is turned all the way down on the guitar)...

I do not understand..... 

duck_arse

when you say ".... if i unplug the pedal. the volume goes to normal volume", do you mean you unplug the external DC supply? if so, it sounds like your problem is power/ground wiring. don't be shy in providing us with the standard voltage measures, either.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

broomhandle

yes, unplug the power it goes to normal volume but a "muted" sound. I was thinking grounding too. I can get readings. what setting on the volt meter should I use and check what for continuity.

duck_arse

for voltage readings, DC 20V usually. if it is autoranging, it will sort itself out. put your black probe to the ground/sleeve connection[leave it there, all voltages measure up from ground in your case], and probe about with the red poker. no signal needed for these tests. for continuity/ohms/resistance - POWER OFF - always - and probes can go wherever to wherever.

you want to test resistance (short your probes together, when the reading settles _0.00_  or very close to zero, that is your zero ohms reading, you want to see that reading when probing between connected points) between the DC socket ground, the case, the sleeves of the jax, the PCB 0V/gnd line. then check for the connection from the 9V connection to the board, and to ground, as an problem eliminator.

then you want to plug a lead into each jack, and measure resistance between the two free plug-tips. work the footswitch, see what happens. tell us what next.

broomhandle

Hello,

digging up my old thread. I have had no luck. I thought it was the IC because it was from china. I swapped it out and added a 914. I have sound, and when I engage it (LED comes on)... nothing., its the same sound off or engaged. the sound has a muffled sound. when I disengage the pedal. it has no sound. I tap on the foot switch and the sound comes back.

is it possible a bad stomp switch?

photos... I would really like to get this one to work. its my only pedal to not work... I'm going crazy...

duck_arse

Quotethen you want to plug a lead into each jack, and measure resistance between the two free plug-tips. work the footswitch, see what happens. tell us what next.

do ^ this. then measure resistance between the input plug tip and the pad marked "IN". work the switch. then test from the output plug tip to the pad marked "OUT". work the switch. in both cases, you should get one high/open circuit reading, and one short/low ohms reading. this will dis/prove your jacks/switch wiring goodness.

ohh, and still we want the standard voltage tests done on the board.