New Cab IR Pedal from Blu Guitar BLUBOX

Started by briandress, February 03, 2017, 06:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

briandress

This looks remarkably more simple than the torpedo C.A.B.

http://www.bluguitar.com/english/blubox.html

Wondering what the pricing is going to be on these and whether we can load third party IR through it.

This has to be easily produced with readily available technology no?

Im still trying to wrap my head around Convolution Reverb/IR/ AMP sim DSP applications.

markseel

Looks nice and simple!  Latency is low - 1 msec - that's good.  Doesn't say how many milliseconds if IR that it supports though.

electrosonic

QuoteBut why conserve the sounds digitally? Simply because analogue equipment cannot capture all the acoustic complexities and nuances the speakers produce.

That seems kind of contradictory to me. 

Andrew
  • SUPPORTER

markseel

Yeah it does - doesn't seem to make sense at first glance.

I suspect that 'analogue equipment cannot capture all the acoustic complexities and nuances' is referring to tone-shaping based speaker/cab emulators that don't capture the reverberation characteristics of the speaker enclosure. 

On the other hand the analog approach would be zero (almost) latency whereas convolution of signals through IR's, ADC's and DAC's, and DSP data flow all add up to latency that some folks claim that they can feel.  Lots of debate on the latency issue out there.

markseel

Anyone know how long the IR lengths (and subsequently the number of milliseconds of cab reverb being modeled) are?

briandress

Not sure. Wondering if this isn't something that can be put together on a beagle board or something like that. Doesn't seem so out of the realm of possibility in my head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gena_p1

Quote from: potul on February 08, 2017, 02:27:49 AM
I looks like it's possible with a Rpi.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/cabinet-irs-and-using-an-arduino-raspberry-pi-to-process-them.1668407/

Basicly, high quality and fast IR needs only $10 for componets. Raspberry contains no ADC and providing higher latency

waltk

Haven't tried a BLUBOX, but if you're thinking about it, you should also take a look at a Logidy EPSI www.logidy.com.  I have one.  It's great.  It has two sets of firmware that can be loaded - one intended for reverb (10ms latency, 6 second IRs), the other intended for cab/room sim (1.04ms latency, 1.5 second IRs).  The best part is that you can find/download any IR file and load it into the pedal.  It has an SD card slot, so you can load hundreds of IRs on it and switch between them.  Realworld usage tip: after you're done playing around with your new pedal, load a card with a small number of IRs that you really like - easier to find/switch between them that way.

Edit: it's cheaper too. $199 from their site vs. $299 for the BLUBOX from Sweetwater.

MetalGuy

Also AMT released an IR module which will be very useful for DIY projects:

http://eshop.amtelectronics.com/new-in-2015/amt-pangaea-cp-16-module.html

Like an end user I needed something just like that.