JHS Twin Twelve clone noise issue.

Started by abakuzam, November 12, 2018, 09:05:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abakuzam

Hello folks, i'm having some noise issues about the pedal, i have built it from these layouts, same problem

Schematic: http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/file/n18170/destijl%2520revision%25202.jpg

Layouts :

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-e2Jr2YWUpXU/Wfc5AOj-60I/AAAAAAAAFrY/2vsi61WILWk5QCtzvyBucoro76Syct4XwCK4BGAYYCw/s1600/JHS%2BTwin%2BTwelve.png

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-YZX8s-Qokas/WgT2dXQSu9I/AAAAAAAAB4w/gJzpArKlTLEyKsfRbWByexI9meYk7TX8wCLcBGAs/s1600/JHS%2BTwin%2BTwelve.png

I used smd j201 fets, checked them , all in specs. I used multiple turn trimpots, shielded cables, branded caps etc. BUT, it's really noisy, i was suspicious about my guitar, so i pluuged a clean signal source, still the same, i excluded the charge pump too, still the same noise, i checked my pots, all okay, they are alpha pots, also im using 9v battery to eliminate wall adapter related noise. Tried to play around with bias voltage, same issues. Checked the soldering, bridges, faulty caps etc. I'm out of ideas any suggestions to make it less noisy? It produces noise even guitar volume is 0. Also it's squels when i touch the drain of the Q4 in the schematic. Others are just fine. I don't have enough experience and knowladge to play around with the circuit, still learning, maybe it's because of the resistor values in the fets. I appreciate the expert opinion and learning more about the fets and circuits.

Elijah-Baley

Hello.
Do these two layouts verified?
Is this you first pedal DIY?
Where did you buy the J201? Even if I don't think those are fake, being smd.
You used battery and tried to exlcude the charge pump, so I guess that the cause of the issue isn't the charge pump (did you used MAX1044?) or the PSU.
You built two different layout, so maybe we can exclude some ramdon unwanted mistake.

Are you testing just the board or it is already in the box?
Maybe is the way you you connect the wires? Ground, jacks, etc...
Maybe the trimmer is a bit tricky to set?

I'm sorry, I didn't built this pedal, so I'm trying to help you guessing.

If you think can be helpful show us some pictures.
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

abakuzam

Quote from: Elijah-Baley on November 12, 2018, 10:49:10 AM

Hello.
Do these two layouts verified?

Yes, they are verified.

Is this you first pedal DIY?

No, i built around 30 pedals, including complex ones.

Where did you buy the J201? Even if I don't think those are fake, being smd.

i bought them from, diyguitarpedals.com.au, so he is a very trustable man on buying parts.

You used battery and tried to exlcude the charge pump, so I guess that the cause of the issue isn't the charge pump (did you used MAX1044?) or the PSU.

i used max1044, tc1044, 7660s, all frequency boost versions. Same noise, with or without them. i just used battery for all mesaurements, i got 17,8 volts @ 9.1v battery

You built two different layout, so maybe we can exclude some ramdon unwanted mistake.

I methodologically checked all the possible mistakes, i have built the effectslayouts's board two times, same problem. I'm suspecting from the schematic , there is no gutshots for verfying that it's from twintwelve

Quote from: Elijah-Baley on November 12, 2018, 10:49:10 AMAre you testing just the board or it is already in the box?
Maybe is the way you you connect the wires? Ground, jacks, etc...

i haven't boxed up properly yet, i just used a big box to make a faraday cage, to minimise the rf etc. it helped tiny bit, grounding is okay, no shorts, put some extra filtering on the power supply on the battery side also.

Quote from: Elijah-Baley on November 12, 2018, 10:49:10 AMMaybe the trimmer is a bit tricky to set?

i have used both single turn, and multi turn pots, %50 of the VCC, that's from layout creator's notes.

Quote from: Elijah-Baley on November 12, 2018, 10:49:10 AMI'm sorry, I didn't built this pedal, so I'm trying to help you guessing.

If you think can be helpful show us some pictures.

i appreciate your time to help me, i will check it all again one more time, maybe 3 is the lucky number. Also i haven't finished the boxing yet.

About the pics:

No shorts under the pots, but i can hear the difference in sound when i touch the pot's shaft, in all pots, same happens, even though i checked the shafts and lugs for shorting, maybe im creating capacitance when i touch them?

Thank you

PRR

> it's really noisy,

There are many kinds of "noise". Barky dogs, lawnmowers, boom-cars. The cures will be different. In pedals, popular noises are buzz, hiss, howl/squeal, radio. What is it?

This is a high gain circuit. If out in the open it WILL suck-up all the small interference in the room and boost it up loud. Has it been tried in a metal box?

This is a HIGH-gain circuit. The *least* signal leakage from output to input will howl/squeal like a mike and speaker too close to each other. Layout WILL be critical, and I don't see that your build is laid-out same as the published layouts.
  • SUPPORTER

abakuzam

Quote from: PRR on November 12, 2018, 09:04:25 PM
> it's really noisy,

There are many kinds of "noise". Barky dogs, lawnmowers, boom-cars. The cures will be different. In pedals, popular noises are buzz, hiss, howl/squeal, radio. What is it?

This is a high gain circuit. If out in the open it WILL suck-up all the small interference in the room and boost it up loud. Has it been tried in a metal box?

This is a HIGH-gain circuit. The *least* signal leakage from output to input will howl/squeal like a mike and speaker too close to each other. Layout WILL be critical, and I don't see that your build is laid-out same as the published layouts.

hello, sorry for giving less info, i got buzz , hiss, and some squel, radio interference, also i got poor grounding at home, when i open a light my amp makes noises, so i will try it somehere else, so i can get AC isolation for my amp.

i did metal box around it, temporarly, now, i got it boxed, its waay quiet , squels when i max the gain, that's normal i guess. i just got a switch pop, im using tayda miniature dpdt with tagbooardeffetcs's millenium bypass. Popping sound gets quieter after i switch on and off a few times, probably some voltage potential accumulating at the input or output. Maybe i should do more clean work, i included the picture, i hope i can get some expert opinions about my wiring etc. that would help me a lot.

Can you explain me output to input signal leakage? how does it happen?

I used this layout : http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-e2Jr2YWUpXU/Wfc5AOj-60I/AAAAAAAAFrY/2vsi61WILWk5QCtzvyBucoro76Syct4XwCK4BGAYYCw/s1600/JHS%2BTwin%2BTwelve.png

I can add more power filtering maybe? Also is it okay to have more than one enclosure ground points, my jacks touch it, and i connected my jack's ground lug to circuit ground . And wire shields connect the same way. Maybe i should search and learn about grounding more.

Thank you for leading me, i guess i need to read , search and learn more to understand circuits better

And this is my boxed up version :