I hereby reclaim this hideous enclosure

Started by EBK, February 23, 2017, 09:49:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcos - Munky

thermionix

EBK

So, there are two things that slightly bug me about my decision to build this pedal with the lid on top.  First, I've scrapped my original plan to cut the lid in 3 pieces to make light work of creating a window (due to the thickness of the acrylic sheet I have on hand).  Second, the lid is supposed to go on the bottom to hide the screws ("hiding the screws" in this case has nothing at all to do with burning receipts from seedy motels....).

So....  It is time once again for my favorite industrial strength steel-filled epoxy, JB Weld.  I've hinted at this before, but I've decided to use magnets instead of screws to secure the lid.

My life is more complete now that I've witnessed how JB Weld interacts with strong magnets, by the way.  It is like a super viscous ferrofluid.  For anyone unfamiliar with ferrofluid (JB Weld is not anywhere as cool as this):
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

duck_arse

you won't forget to leave/put a screwdriver/thumbnail slot thing for lifting, will you?

I had a thought (the pain has eased by now) about the inside-finish of your box, but don't know if I should tell you what it was.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

EBK

Quote from: duck_arse on April 08, 2017, 11:07:17 AM
you won't forget to leave/put a screwdriver/thumbnail slot thing for lifting, will you?
that would be sort of like locking my keys in the car, right?
I had a thought (the pain has eased by now) about the inside-finish of your box, but don't know if I should tell you what it was.

"inside-finish"...

I think I want to ask why you dont want to say it before I ask you what the thought was.   

I hope you don't mean a cream filling....
:icon_razz:
  • SUPPORTER

duck_arse

[/taste] [poor_taste] did you hear about the prostitute that left her appendix scar open so's she could have a bit on the side? [/poor_taste] [taste] carry on.

EBK

Here's an unintentionally ethereal pic of the enclosure being painted white (primed really) in my $0 paint booth with $0 painter's "pyramids".
  • SUPPORTER

jfrabat

Its not called "priming"...  Its called "foreplay".  Just saying...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I build.  I fix.  I fix again.  And again.  And yet again.  (sometimes again once more).  Then I have something that works! (Most of the time!).

EBK

If this were a normal thread, I wouldn't feel the need to say that no bodily fluids we're used to make the following....uh...conception:

This is a piece of acrylic painted with liquid laundry detergent, under visible light and under UV LED blacklight.

This is just a proof of concept, like the pink LED edge lighting experiment previously.  But, I'm officially adding Dirty Sheet to the already long list of candidates for the pedal name.  And, remember, this is going in an enclosure painted a pristine, clean sheet, white.  :icon_wink:
  • SUPPORTER

thermionix

This has probably been covered, but what does the pedal do?  Overdrive?  It may matter in the naming convention.

"The Wet Spot" sounds like a reverb pedal, for example.

EBK

It's a hybrid of madbean's 8-ball and the JHS morning Glory, both of which are modded Marshall Bluesbreakers.  So, we'll call it a medium clean overdrive, I suppose.  Flip back to page 3, where someone with the same name as you asked the same question.   :icon_razz:

Only change from the hand drawn schematic on that page is R8, which I bumped slightly to 270k.
  • SUPPORTER

thermionix

Oh yeah, duh.  Page 3 was a long time ago.  And some of the British guys might think "Page 3" is an appropriate name for the pedal.

EBK

This has been sitting idle while I wait for low humidity to coincide with free time so I can continue to work on the finish.  It is like waiting for a rare planetary alignment.  :icon_frown:
  • SUPPORTER

jfrabat

Quote from: EBK on May 12, 2017, 08:50:29 AM
This has been sitting idle while I wait for low humidity to coincide with free time so I can continue to work on the finish.  It is like waiting for a rare planetary alignment.  :icon_frown:

So, after sitting idle for 7 months, have you made any progress?  I really want to see how this pedal ends up like...
I build.  I fix.  I fix again.  And again.  And yet again.  (sometimes again once more).  Then I have something that works! (Most of the time!).

EBK

Thanks for the bump -- wait, I forgot that I can't say things like that in this thread.  :icon_redface:

The delay has been due to weather.  Spray acrylic clear coat smells awful, so I can't spray it indoors, and outside has been either too humid or too cold.  Perhaps what I need to do is get an outdoor toaster oven. I'll have to remove the magnets before baking (I've already weakened them a bit with a small amount of baking before I remembered in a panic that heat demagnetizes rare earth magnets).  More realistically, I just need a brush-on, water-based clear coat.  Perhaps I'll order some tonight so I can get back to work on this thing.

Anyway, I agree that this pedal needs some attention
  • SUPPORTER

EBK

Water-based Polycrylic finish has been ordered!

I plan to add a coat or two of this, then label the enclosure and apply another coat or two.  Then I will fit the window.

Since I plan to label soon, I need to finalize the name....
I can't believe no one suggested "glory hole" when I mentioned this being a derivative of the Morning Glory.  :icon_razz:

Anyway, my lead contender for the name is "OD Puttanesca", but I'll still consider any suggestions.
  • SUPPORTER

BetterOffShred

Glory hole is low hanging fruit for sure  :icon_biggrin:
I like it. 

EBK

Well, I broke my own rule buying the Polycrylic, and it isn't working out, at least so far.  It is very thin and drip-prone.  The thicker areas where gravity collects it is yellowish rather than clear.  Since I've already broken the use-what-I-have rule, and I need to make progress, I think it is time I bought some gloss white enamel spray paint....
  • SUPPORTER

thermionix

Quote from: BetterOffShred on November 29, 2017, 12:52:59 PM
Glory hole is low hanging fruit for sure  :icon_biggrin:
I like it.

If the window was round instead of rectangular, "Glory Hole" would be damn near obligatory.

duck_arse

well, expanding on the theme, why not find some second hand woodgrain panelling, and gouge a hole in it w/ a screwdriver, use that as the front panel? you might want to wipe it down first, tho.