I hereby reclaim this hideous enclosure

Started by EBK, February 23, 2017, 09:49:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBK

Quote from: amptramp on February 26, 2017, 07:59:33 PM
Acetone is the main ingredient in nail polish remover.  You need to find a girl.  You're a guitarist, it can't be that hard to find a groupie.  Preferably one who can support you in the manner to which you would like to become accustomed so you get rid of that pesky zero budget problem.
Been married for 12 years to a girl whose nail polish is either picked off as it wears out or taken off by someone else who has the nail polish remover.  :icon_wink:

I have a 5-year-old daughter whose nail polish (rarely worn) is water soluble.  :icon_razz:

The $0 budget is partly from having moved into a bigger house about a week and a half ago, but it is mostly self-imposed.  Anyway, it allows me an excuse to be creative.  This isn't intended to be a "woe is me" story.  It is more analogous to going camping and "roughing it." I'm enjoying every minute of it.  :icon_biggrin:

(I think I tend to confuse people often with my less-than-serious, more academic pursuits.  Sure, I'll have an excellent pedal in the end, but I want to have to think hard and learn new things to get to that result.)

Update: I managed to procure some nail polish remover without violating my $0 rule.  But, it turns out that "1980s prostitute pink" is immune to the stuff.  Still, it may be useful for a final cleaning prior to priming/painting.

• SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

EBK

Step 2: Removing the "Red" (part 3)
Making progress.

At this point, it is more about making the surfaces (inside and outside) flat than eradicating the "1980s prostitute pink."
Soon, it will be time to clean up and apply some primer.
Or, maybe it's time to redrill? Which one would you do first?

Edit: to partially answer my own question, I need to "reconfigure" the lid before I am ready to prime since it may likely involve more JB Weld .
  • SUPPORTER

amptramp

Quote from: EBK on February 26, 2017, 08:25:07 PM
Update: I managed to procure some nail polish remover without violating my $0 rule.  But, it turns out that "1980s prostitute pink" is immune to the stuff.  Still, it may be useful for a final cleaning prior to priming/painting.

Nail polish remover usually has some oil mixed in with it to avoid roughening the skin.  It will take paint off but the oil may prevent putting new paint on unless it is washed off.

EBK

Quote from: amptramp on February 27, 2017, 09:07:33 PM
Quote from: EBK on February 26, 2017, 08:25:07 PM

Nail polish remover usually has some oil mixed in with it to avoid roughening the skin.  It will take paint off but the oil may prevent putting new paint on unless it is washed off.
Good to know!  Soap and water for cleanup then.  Possibly rubbing alcohol.
  • SUPPORTER

feddozz

My 2 €cents

I think you'll have to call the pedal "80s prostitute pink"
And "dog balls on your face"...

EBK

Quote from: feddozz on February 28, 2017, 10:38:25 AM
My 2 €cents

I think you'll have to call the pedal "80s prostitute pink"
I might consider an abbreviated version of that for a model number like 80SPP (or should that be 80STD instead?).
  • SUPPORTER

thermionix

feddozz

And "dog balls on your face"...

EBK

I may have to rethink the circuit I'm putting in this thing....
  • SUPPORTER

amptramp

Quote from: EBK on February 28, 2017, 02:54:54 PM
I may have to rethink the circuit I'm putting in this thing....

Maybe you could call it "Whores of a Different Colour".  Or repaint it purple and call it "Statutory Grape".

thermionix

You could do a decal image of Eddie Murphy with a confused look on his face.

I think the "80's Prostitute Pink" name was already used for a factory color option on the Peavey Nitro series of guitars.  They may have copyrighted it.

jfrabat

I got into the thread out of curiosity, but it just made my day with all the pedal names and the double meanings!
I build.  I fix.  I fix again.  And again.  And yet again.  (sometimes again once more).  Then I have something that works! (Most of the time!).

EBK

I'm faced with a conundrum.  The fact that this enclosure has such a story does suggest that the final pedal should pay tribute to its roots, but my original plans couldn't be farther from doing so. 

I was going to paint it white and put a rather clean, understated overdrive based on the Marshall Bluesbreaker, and name the pedal Change of Address in view of the fact that it is my first build in my new house.

Now, I'm wondering if I should instead push off that plan and see if I can scrounge together a Si Fuzz Face (I have a bunch of grab bag NPNs that would probably be perfect for it). The name "Pink Light District" popped into my head today....  :icon_razz:
I have some RGB LEDs, and I'm sure I could create something that would roughly replicate "1980s prostitute pink" with one.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?
  • SUPPORTER

Cozybuilder

I like the changed address motif, and in tribute maybe the front door with lamp over it would be appropriate- of course the lamp would be your red LED.
Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

EBK

To expand further, as I mentioned before, I was planning to use this enclosure upside down, with a clear window showing the guts.  Instead of a traditional LED indicator, I was planning to use multiple diffused white-ish LEDs behind the remaining portions of the lid to light up the guts as evenly as possible.  The actual circuit would be wired essentially point-to-point, very orthogonally, perhaps like a Vero layout without the board.
  • SUPPORTER

EBK

Quote from: thermionix on March 01, 2017, 12:51:26 AM
I think the "80's Prostitute Pink" name was already used for a factory color option on the Peavey Nitro series of guitars.
I think you may be right :icon_lol:
  • SUPPORTER

thermionix

Oh, they get pinker than that!  That gold plated hardware is mighty prostitutey though.

"Yo pimp buy you dat?  He know howda treat a ho!"

jfrabat

Quote from: thermionix on March 03, 2017, 04:13:04 PM
Oh, they get pinker than that!  That gold plated hardware is mighty prostitutey though.

"Yo pimp buy you dat?  He know howda treat a ho!"
But you are not looking at how pink it is INSIDE!!!  Sorry, could not resist...
I build.  I fix.  I fix again.  And again.  And yet again.  (sometimes again once more).  Then I have something that works! (Most of the time!).

thermionix

jfrabat