I hereby reclaim this hideous enclosure

Started by EBK, February 23, 2017, 09:49:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pure_analog

Personally I think Dirty Sheet is great.

EBK

Quote from: pure_analog on December 13, 2017, 07:20:19 AM
Personally I think Dirty Sheet is great.
I do too.  I think my ultimate criteria are that the name should be suggestive rather than blatantly obscene, but not too suggestive that I have to hide the pedal from my kids so they don't repeat the name of the pedal out of context.  Dirty Sheet definitely works.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

EBK

A small update.  As I've said in another thread, in 2018, I'm trying to advance or abandon older projects.

I've sanded off the yellowish Polycrylic failure, and I've purchased some gloss white spray paint.  My previous $0 budget for this project was just not going to get it done.  I'll probably purchase a cheap toaster oven to assist in finishing this and other projects.  (I've temporary removed the magnets from this enclosure so I can bake the finish.)

I haven't yet sprayed on the white paint.  I'll probably apply one more light coat of primer first (some of my sanding exposed bare aluminum).
  • SUPPORTER

BetterOffShred

My second hand toaster that was used to cook food for 10 years before being repurposed again to bake enclosures gets a workout.  It's looking good man. I went back and read this entire thread a month ago or so.. pretty fun man.

mth5044

This thread is amazing. Another vote for Dirty Sheet.

EBK

Rare planetary alignment today!  It is warm enough and dry enough outside for painting.  Wish me luck!
  • SUPPORTER

vigilante397

• SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

EBK

I managed to get a few light coats of paint on that enclosure, and I even got to bake it in the oven (my wife wasn't home to yell at me  :icon_razz:).  It is a bit textured though.  Does anyone know if that can be smoothed out with polishing paper, or will it lose its gloss if I try that?
  • SUPPORTER

BetterOffShred

what I typically do is coat my color, bake, wet sand with like 400, coat another color, bake, wet sand 400.. then I clear coat, bake, wet sand 400, and then clear coat one last time and bake.. and hope for no fur  8)

If you're using gloss paint, any sanding will definitely make it dull, but gloss clear over the top will make it pop.   

EBK

Minor update:
I now finally own a second-hand toaster oven!  I will be able to paint again as soon as I find my long extension cord to turn it into an outdoor toaster oven. :icon_wink:

I should also probably measure the lowest temperature setting before using it.  The lowest marked temp on the dial is 250°F (121°C), but the dial has some unmarked range below that. 
  • SUPPORTER

PRR

• SUPPORTER

EBK

Paul, you've extended the list of my lifelong ambitions with that.  The good news is, in the words of Stephen Wright, "I intend to live forever.  So far, so good."  :icon_wink:
  • SUPPORTER

Paul Marossy

Love the concept with the viewing window and the artsy componentry.

PRR

To be clear: That oven-amp is NOT my build. I saw it on another forum. My repurposing only runs to fitting a video-switch box with relays and resistors as a furnace control. (Well, I did build a PC into a side-table once...)
  • SUPPORTER

bluebunny

Quote from: PRR on March 29, 2018, 05:21:11 PM
Well, I did build a PC into a side-table once...

Aw, you can't go dropping nuggets like that, Paul, without backing up with pictures!   ;D
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

iiimonfire

Officially following this thread. I'm just here to see how these incredible projects turn out. My jaw hit the floor several times.
Enjoy the ride. --B. Hicks

EBK

Desperate to motivate myself to make some sort of progress with this project, I bought some new hardware for it:

If you are just joining this thread already in progress, I should let you know that it comes with a NSFW warning.  The project is the most inadvertently dirty project ever, by my subjective measure, and the thread contains numerous sexual euphemisms and innuendos.  Not my fault.  As I've said before, I blame the paint.

So, when someone seems to be giggling uncontrollably while pointing out that there's a crack on that knob, you'll understand why.   :icon_razz:
  • SUPPORTER

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER

EBK

Quote from: bluebunny on October 19, 2019, 07:37:37 AM
Quote from: EBK on October 18, 2019, 06:27:09 PM
there's a crack on that knob

You were screwing too vigorously.  :icon_rolleyes:
It came like that.   :icon_razz:

(Once again, this stuff accidentally writes itself.)
  • SUPPORTER

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER