Show me your 1590LB enclosures/pedals

Started by adielricci, February 25, 2017, 09:11:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowanderror

jesucristo mio...  :icon_redface: :o :icon_lol: This whole build kinda freaks me out a bit. Everything in it's right place, which also happens to be the right place for another component as well.

Be honest with me... are you actually a colony of ants with an EE degree?  Even the smallest human digit is of no use in that claustrophobic enclosure. Is that perfboard or did you etch the PCB? Your solder dosage restraint is admirable. I usually end up with a heaving monument to PbSn.

What chem process did you use for your enclosure etching? The details came out real nice and there is not a lot of transfer "noise".

Either way, it looks amazing and kicks me up the arse a bit to do something with my 1590LB that I bought for no reason!

thomasha

I finished another one!
I started from the Dirtbag (Madbeanpedals) schematic and made my first attempt with SMD parts.

I added all the v3205 mods to the layout, to reduce distortion at 9v.
I used a homemade double sided PCB.

Then some components:

The small board is for the SA570 and the first TL072. It fits over the pots, between the enclosure wall and the input jack.

A view from inside the box:

I soldered everything like a lid, where most of the wires to the pots work like a hinge,
with the overload circuit holding the other side of the board down.

Another bottom view:

And the final result:

and a sample:

The calibration was done with a 250 Hz, 0.5 v p-p sine wave, according to the instructions of the big box DMM.
Cheers
Thomas

Elijah-Baley

«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

vigilante397

Quote from: Elijah-Baley on October 22, 2019, 09:50:28 AM
Thomasha! This is kind of cheating! ;D

He has three large through-hole ICs and 5 pots in there, I'm going to allow it. :icon_eek:
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

amptramp

I'm waiting for the SMD cordwood version.

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

thomasha

QuoteThomasha! This is kind of cheating! ;D
yes, but just 50%  :icon_lol:

It would be a mess to make it trough hole, sadly it is not easy to find smaller through hole trimmers and caps.

thomasha

Some fuzz pedals this time. Modified fuzz face with extra stage + a BMP OpAmp version.

kraal

Hi,

This is my first SMD design and build. It is an always-on buffer in a 1590LBB enclosure. It features two internal switches, the first one allows to choose between non-inverting and inverting buffer, the second one is a "flat"/"bright" switch, that when enabled allows to slightly recover high frequencies. Nothing fancy on the outside as I haven't decided on the design yet.

thomasha

Nice little one and a very professional build!

thomasha

I finished a multicolored etch for a small easy vibe.

thomasha

Hi, this one is the famous dr. boogei (Madbeans Chunk chunk). Due to unavailability of normal j201 I used the SMD version.
Here some pictures of the build:

Pot positioning inside the enclosure at the top and side walls

Everything inside the box

Final shots

rockola

Echoplex preamp. I cheated and went all SMD. The box is from Reichelt (RND 455-00853) and is actually slightly smaller than 1590LB but looks like they no longer carry it. KiCAD files @ github.com/rockola/pimentero

vigilante397

Quote from: rockola on November 23, 2020, 01:27:39 AM

I always like SMD builds, and I always like 1590LB builds, I wish I could like it twice. Looks great 8)
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

thomasha

QuoteThe box is from Reichelt (RND 455-00853) and is actually slightly smaller than 1590LB but looks like they no longer carry it.
Oh No! I also was buying from them! It was the cheapest box I could find. Plus it is rounder on the edges. Only bad thing is that you have to make the internal screw threads yourself.

If you stack four of this stages you end up with the dr. Boogey. Considering the size of your board it probably would fit.

kraal

Quote from: thomasha on November 23, 2020, 05:51:36 PM
QuoteThe box is from Reichelt (RND 455-00853) and is actually slightly smaller than 1590LB but looks like they no longer carry it.
Oh No! I also was buying from them! It was the cheapest box I could find. Plus it is rounder on the edges. Only bad thing is that you have to make the internal screw threads yourself.

Distrelec still sells them: https://www.distrelec.ch/en/metal-enclosure-50-8x50-8x31-8mm-aluminium-alloy-aluminium-rnd-components-rnd-455-00853/p/30096171?track=true&no-cache=true

Elijah-Baley

Hello.
I never built in a 1590LB. Do someone has a template or something to help me drill it and to place jacks and switch inside?
Thanks!
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»

thomasha

Hi,
I always measure them, because sometimes they have 52mm, sometimes 48mm and when every mm counts that is a lot!

The trick is to start with the 2PDT the closest possible to one of the sides, position the jacks and only then position the pots.

Depending on the jacks you are going to use you will have to position them differently. How many pots are you going to use?

Elijah-Baley

The box I'm going to buy (not so soon) will be probably 51x51, in the description of the web shop.
Probably my first circuit will be basic opamp a booster (no smd) with one knob. About 28mm x 22mm, with film box caps and low profile electrolytic caps.
I would like to include the 3PDT footswitch, there are some compact type.
The Lumberg jack seems to be pretty narrow, I could use the classic DC jack enclosed wth the external nut, but someetime I see this type I never tried.
https://www.taydaelectronics.com/hardware/dc-power/dc-power-jack-2-1mm-round-type-panel-mount-1.html
The pot will be a 9mm, of course.

thomasha

The last one I boxed was not an official 1590LB, but a cheaper equivalent. It had 49x49mm and was a bit more round at the edges than the hammond one.

I normally test the position of the parts for every new build: