Volume works even when pedal is off

Started by Josemitejam, December 19, 2020, 11:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josemitejam

Hi all,

I've built a good handful of kits, but I'm just now venturing into etching my pcbs/using strip board and going without a kits instructions. I recently built this tonebender mk1, but I must have goofed up the off board wiring. The issue is that the volume pot will adjust the guitar/amps volume even if the pedal is switched off. Also it sucks quite a bit of tone when switched off. Can anyone easily spot the issue?

I'm following this layout:

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2011/01/tonebender-mki.html

And this wiring:

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_sw_3pdt_tb_pnp_dcj.pdf

Here's two pictures:

(The dc jack is off to the side, out of the picture.)

Thank you for your time!

Joe

Keeb

Your volume pot (I'm assuming) is still connected to the jack regardless of switch position. Your circuit "out" should go to the switch and not the jack. Connect the light green and red wires together off the jack and keep the purple on the jack.

That seems to be the problem with just a quick glance!

(The way it's wired now is that you ground the outout jack tip through the volume pot, regardless of switch postition. That makes your signal go straigt to ground when volume is all the way down)

iainpunk

that red wire going form the pot to the jack, snip that off
the green wire going to the swich from the PCP on the output side, snip it out
where the red wire came off the pot, reconnect it where the green wire was on the switch before

cheers, Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

duck_arse

I would have said what they both said, except neither of them said welcome.

welcome to the forum.
don't make me draw another line.

iainpunk

ow, shit, i forgot it again,

welcome to the forum
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

antonis

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

GibsonGM

• SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

antonis

Quote from: GibsonGM on December 20, 2020, 12:33:33 PM
At least you weren't mean to him.    :)

I'm not sure about, other than myself, person's intentions, Sir..!!   :icon_mrgreen:

P.S.
Long time to hear you, Mike..  :icon_smile: :icon_biggrin:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Josemitejam

Haha thank you for the welcome! And that solved it right away - thanks a ton everyone!

iainpunk

Quote from: Josemitejam on December 20, 2020, 04:08:01 PM
Haha thank you for the welcome! And that solved it right away - thanks a ton everyone!
nice going pal, here, have your first like:

cheers, Iain

cheers

duck_arse

Quote from: Josemitejam on December 20, 2020, 04:08:01 PM

well that's no good - how we gonna keep this thread going now?
don't make me draw another line.