Neg 9 - MKII Professional Tone Bender

Started by Outlaws, March 10, 2017, 11:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Outlaws

Here is my PNP Tone Bender.  Tonepad PCB.  TI 2G30 transistors.  Added a bias pot.  Went ahead and added a old 1/8" power jack I yanked from a BigMuff, wired as positive sleeve. Added a power switch for the battery on top of the DC disconnect and the input jack disconnect.

GibsonGM

Looks nice, Outlaws - where did you put the bias pot, and what effect does it have, just by ear? 

What amp are you sending it to?
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Outlaws

Quote from: GibsonGM on March 11, 2017, 12:12:14 AM
Looks nice, Outlaws - where did you put the bias pot, and what effect does it have, just by ear? 

What amp are you sending it to?
Bias trim sorry, but on R3 for Q2.  It's just under my 47k marking.  I cannot say I hear a whole lot of difference until the extremes but it's nice to have there.  Small Bear listed the R3 at 30k so it's right in the middle I'd say.
I am down to one guitar and amp. Old LP studio with Alnico II's into a Mesa Mark V.

antonis

Do I see a guy in a hurry who painted his enclosure without primer..??  :icon_redface:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Outlaws

What makes you say that?  I used primer. Ace Rust Stop needs I guess 5 days to cure. I gave it 2 and decided I wanted a Dc jack and that caused issues on the left edge while I was holding/gripping it lol. I added another coat to try and smooth it out but it is what it is.

duck_arse

Quote from: antonis on March 11, 2017, 05:36:49 AM
Do I see a guy in a hurry who painted his enclosure without primer..??  :icon_redface:

antonis - it appears the man has gone to the trouble of pulling unused pins from his jacks, which he has then gone and thread-spaced, I don't think he be scrimping on the paint prep, surely. it's the look.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

Outlaws

Quote from: duck_arse on March 11, 2017, 09:30:13 AM
Quote from: antonis on March 11, 2017, 05:36:49 AM

antonis - it appears the man has gone to the trouble of pulling unused pins from his jacks, which he has then gone and thread-spaced, I don't think he be scrimping on the paint prep, surely. it's the look.
That's amazing you caught the thread spacing. Didn't think anyone would notice. 16mm pots with jacks on top in a 1590B doesn't let the lid seat properly. I needed them set back a smidgeon. But it looks nice too on the outside IMO.
Here is my Phase 45 build. I went fairly custom on that.