next stupidest enclosure question of the century

Started by pinkjimiphoton, January 08, 2018, 01:00:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinkjimiphoton

hey,
is there a box JUST SLIGHTLY SMALLER than a 1590bb?
i built this cool companded delay project i found on ebay, and he said use a 1590bb for the box..
but the onboard jacks etc are about  1/4" from the sides of the jacks, so no way to screw the metal parts (crybaby style jacks) into the jacks. i had to oversize drill the hole for the power jack as well. ended up using smaller jacks on flying leads for this one, but thinking about building a couple others. so i wanna find a proper size box for them.
thanks for the advice. ;)
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

EBK

The 1590B3 is slightly shorter and narrower, but a little deeper.

4.57" × 3.03" × 1.32"
(116mm × 77mm × 34mm)
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

pinkjimiphoton

thanks eric,
i'll google one up for the next build.
happy new years bro! cheers!
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Govmnt_Lacky

Hey Jimi

What is the measurement from the barrel of the Input jack to the barrel of the Output jack? Total width edge to edge. This is without the "metal parts" installed.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

pinkjimiphoton

i will check when i get downstairs greg,
if memory serves it was a shade over 4"... like 4 3/32nds if i remember right.

i can't find the box eric referred to anywhere. at least so far.

gimme a little bit bro ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

EBK

• SUPPORTER

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on January 08, 2018, 02:22:18 PM

If that is the case then yes, the typical 'cry baby-like' jacks will not work.

The only solution I can think of that does not involve replacing the enclosure would be to use jacks like these:

Even with these, it looks like it would be damn close AND you would have to assemble and solder it inside the box  :-\
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

thermionix

I would like a 125B that's not quite as tall.  With nicely rounded corners.  Basically a 1590B slightly scaled up, proportionally.

EBK

Quote from: thermionix on January 08, 2018, 06:03:16 PM
I would like a 125B that's not quite as tall.  With nicely rounded corners.  Basically a 1590B slightly scaled up, proportionally.
If you would settle for a 1590B, only deeper, you have two options:
1590B2
1590BS
  • SUPPORTER

digi2t

Deleted.

I really need to brush up on my reading skills. Sorry.  :icon_redface:
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

anotherjim

Eddystone branded boxes seem to be a few mm all round smaller than the Hammond standards. Together with shimmed Cliff/Rean jacks may make it all fit. Eddystone don't seem to have as much tool release angle on the sides as Hammond, which can make a different fit. (actually, I've always used Eddystone boxes and this Hammond xxxxB, xxxxBBB coding means nothing to me)

Design intention could be to have the box upside down (lid up) AND the jack holes slotted so you don't need to solder them on assembly in the box. Due to the angles on the Hammond box sides, that changes the measurements too.

patrick398

While there's an enclosure based thread open i'll throw this in. could be useful to some people, handy picture to have laying around in any 'case'

amptramp

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on January 08, 2018, 02:50:51 PM
Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on January 08, 2018, 02:22:18 PM

If that is the case then yes, the typical 'cry baby-like' jacks will not work.

The only solution I can think of that does not involve replacing the enclosure would be to use jacks like these:

Even with these, it looks like it would be damn close AND you would have to assemble and solder it inside the box  :-\

Don't forget, cast boxes have a draft angle of 3 to 5 degrees to help remove them from the mold.  Even if you could find a way to solder the jacks rigidly to the board and screw the box mounting in from the side, they would have to mount at this angle. and it is not that well controlled.  This would require the jack nuts to have the male threads going into the body of the jack so the entire board and jack assembly could be offered up to the enclosure.

GGBB

Quote from: thermionix on January 08, 2018, 06:03:16 PM

1550B: https://www.hammfg.com/part/1550B. Somewhere between 1590B and 1590N1 for length and width, but basically the same height as 1590B. Although 1mm shallower than 1590B on the outside, it actually has 0.1mm greater inside space due to the fact that the 1550 series uses slightly thinner walls than 1590.

EDIT: 1590N1 is Hammond's 125B equivalent.
  • SUPPORTER

thermionix

Thanks, interesting.  I really like the look of the 1590B but they sure are small if you include a battery.  125B looks somewhat more like an electrical junction box, in my mind anyway.  Less so if they were just a bit shorter.