Hidden magnet enclosures

Started by EBK, March 20, 2017, 03:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBK

Does anyone have any experience using magnets instead of screws to secure enclosure lids?
I was thinking of using some magnetic latch cabinet hardware I have on hand, with small neodymium magnets, on my current project.  I can't think of any specific problems the magnets could cause (enclosure itself is aluminum, by the way), but I wanted to check with those of you potentially wiser than me in this regard.

In my search, I did find one manufacturer (Alpinetech) of magnetic latch enclosures, which I find encouraging:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/322152802584?_mwBanner=1

Update: It is interesting that the Alpinetech enclosures do not include the magnets. 
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

RocketRon60

Only used magnets like that on cupboard doors.  The boxes look great and magnets could be very good if you need to get inside to change an internal battery on an guitar preamp for instance.  Will look out for these boxes.  A bit more professional than my Old Holborn tobacco tin with a 9V battery held on by elastic bands.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

amptramp

If it was a hinged enclosure with magnets on the side opposite the hinge and some sort of handle to open it with, it would keep the lid from getting separated from the body of the enclosure.  As a bonus, you could make the magnet look like a pickup or out of a dead pickup.  Neodymium may be a bit too strong so alnico or ceramic would work well.

slacker

Quote from: EBK on March 20, 2017, 03:38:19 PM
In my search, I did find one manufacturer (Alpinetech) of magnetic latch enclosures, which I find encouraging:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/322152802584?_mwBanner=1

I built a pedal using the 1590G sized version of those enclosures, just because I liked the look of them not specifically because they were magnetic. They work really well, using neodymium magnets the base takes a decent amount of force to remove, I can't see it coming off accidentally.
Unless you're using a battery there's not really a lot of point though, beyond the coolness factor, and I guess shielding isn't quite as good as there's no solid metal to metal connection between the two halves, not noticed any issues in practice though.

EBK

How are the magnets held in place in that enclosure? Just glue?
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

slacker

Yeah, just super glue. Where the screw holes would be on a normal enclosure there's circular holes just deep enough to hold the magnets and you just glue them in.

J0K3RX

google magnetic diy box mods.. They are used in the vape world.
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

thermionix

Quote from: J0K3RX on March 21, 2017, 02:48:18 PM
google magnetic diy box mods.. They are used in the vape world.

Yeah I was gonna suggest that.  Mammoth is into that market.