dpdt on/off latching and off/(on) momentary simultaneously in one switch?

Started by pinkjimiphoton, April 03, 2017, 02:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinkjimiphoton

is there such a beast made?

long story short, i built another one of them hyperspace gizmos for a friend.
it involves taking a cheap ass dano fab echo, and warping the circuit to have a delay pot, more wet signal, and runaway feedback basically and adapting it to work in a crybaby shell with the delay pot being controlled by the treadle (ala tom scholz with boston a billion years ago)... lotta wiring, gotta remove the in and out jacks, led, power supply jack etc and do it point to point.
somehow, i f'd up when moving the led. so i can't use the built in led circuit of the pedal as i have on all the others.

a simple spst momentary is normally all you need. short the switch wires together and it's on. do it again and it's off.

i said, ok, how hard can that be? i'll true bypass the beotch and did, with the standard 3pdts like everybody uses, and connect the two sides of the original footswitch together. led fixed, easy breezy, no probs.

yeah... well, as it turns out the switch CAN't be shorted, cuz that leaves it in bypass. so it has to stay open. yeah, problem solved, right?

when ya kick it in, it starts oscillating. case closed.
nope.

it oscillates alright and you can bend it around with your foot, BUT it is already oscillating when you kick it in.
not cool.

it has to kinda swell in once you kick the effect in.. so making the momentary switching part is mandatory. fine, no prob,
go back to the original spst switch.

or throw in a momentary dpd......oh yeah.... the led will only lite WHILE the switch is pressed down. oooopsies.

what to do? well, could live with the limitations of it being true bypassed, OR could give up the LED to show it's on.... that would be easy. but i'd like to figure out a way to do it simply.

i seem to remember having some dpdts that were momentary on one way and momentary off the other from the center... or maybe it was too much vapor from my.... umm... fogg machine.

but is there a switch that combines these two kinds of functions into one?
is it something i could modify a preexisting switch to do, by removing a spring or something internally so it doesn't "click" on one side?

should i really be researching flip flop circuits as used in some commercial pedals? it seems like kinda overkill. i'd fix the damn dano but that smd shit is too small to @#$% with.

any ideas? i'd like to give him this thing with the led working... but to true bypass it it just becomes a noise maker, not a truly controllable effect. without the led, it's no big deal, NO WAY can you tell this thing is not on.

advice appreciated!! i'd preFER to do it with a switch, including modifying something i have, but not adverse to stuffing a daughterboard in there if i have to. thanks peeples.
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

digi2t

Bro... could you narrow this down to what you need each section of switch to do? I got halfway through your post, and I had to pop a Dramamine.  :icon_lol:

One section latching, one section momentary? More sections? Less sections? How many latching? How many momentary?
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

Passaloutre

Could you just drill another hole and have two switches side-by-side so the pedal activates both as the same time?

armdnrdy

I think he said something about preferring to do it with a switch...but is not adverse to stuffing a daughter (board)   :icon_lol:
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

anotherjim

Quotei seem to remember having some dpdts that were momentary on one way and momentary off the other from the center... or maybe it was too much vapor from my.... umm... fogg machine.

There may well have been too much vapor Jimi, but you do remember correctly.

Sprung one-side toggle switches do exist. I used one recently in a sequencer - make it reset back to the beginning and stop or jump back to the start but keep running.
Biased centre-off I call them.
Catalogues show the momentary side in brackets. So DPDT (on)-off-on is a centre off that is sprung momentary one way and latches the other.

pinkjimiphoton

lol... i guess it's moot, the guy said screw the led ;)

what i meant was ONE two section dpdt switch. one side latching, the other side momentary.

its basically just me looking to be able to do a normal t/b kinda led while keeping the original momentary switch and buffering.

so like... a click ON(on)/click OFF (on again) if that makes any sense. screw it. i'm gonna take the t/b out and just put the original thing back together. it's simpler, and way easier than trying to get you guys any visuals happening of this spaghetti monster mess ;)

but it's pretty cool

i use them shit dano fab echos just cuz they are cheaper than trying to source parts to BUILD  a 2399 delay, PLUS being smd, they're a lot smaller. ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

thanks jim
yeah, that seems like what i remember and what i was asking about, thanks man.
they drove me CRAzZy when i got them. i ordered dpdt's on ebay in the wee years of yesterday land and they were virtually useless to me.
til NOW, of course..
but the deed is done. i just hardwired the led so it turns on when the input is plugged in. there is no mistaking when its on ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr