Author Topic: Mounting Jacks and pots on the PCB  (Read 1978 times)

DeusM

Mounting Jacks and pots on the PCB
« on: April 15, 2017, 08:19:19 AM »
Hey guys. i was wondering if you can tell me about the pros and cons of mounting the input and ouput jacks and the pots on top of the PCB and the alternative of wiring it. I know you save a lot of space but is it to much harder to make it fit it later into the enclosure?
It's not the amps that kills you. It's the "mojo"

bluebunny

Re: Mounting Jacks and pots on the PCB
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 11:09:49 AM »
It's a great way to ensure that your PCB is securely mounted in your enclosure.  A small tip for getting the pots into the holes, even if your drilling is slightly off: measure and drill the holes first, solder up your board but don't do the pots yet, dry-fit the pots on the board and secure  the whole lot gently in the box, finally solder the pots.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

DeusM

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 11:42:14 AM »
The pots shlous be easy, but, how about then jacks? How do you make sure that the measures are alright? Beacuse it the distance between them will be and shlowd be more than the distance of the PCB. Mayby with a program like sketch up?
It's not the amps that kills you. It's the "mojo"

EBK

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 12:00:08 PM »
One slight problem with board mounted jacks is that if you are using a cast aluminum enclosure (like a Hammond), the sides are angled slightly (the lid side is larger than the opposite side of the box).  The angle is referred to as the draft angle. It is designed that way to make casting easier possible.  Basically, unless there are special jacks that I am not aware of, or unless you can angle them on your board, when you thread the nut onto the jack, either it won't sit flush to the box or it will put unnecessary mechanical strain on the board where the jacks are connected.  This isn't a problem for the pots though.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 12:12:02 PM by EBK »
  • SUPPORTER
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber