Author Topic: DNR Ross Compression kit, "Gaining" electrical knowledge  (Read 6296 times)

EBK

Re: DNR Ross Compression kit, "Gaining" electrical knowledge
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2017, 08:30:40 PM »
One more minor detail that caught my eye, but I wouldn't necessarily gripe to GGG about it:. They supplied you a 1 nanofarad ceramic disc capacitor where I would have expected a poly film capacitor.  More on that later, when I have time....
  • SUPPORTER
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Timanator

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2017, 08:32:23 PM »
One more minor detail that caught my eye, but I wouldn't necessarily gripe to GGG about it:. They supplied you a 1 nanofarad ceramic disc capacitor where I would have expected a poly film capacitor.  More on that later, when I have time....

Good, I might as well ask since I need to get the diodes sorted out. :)

EBK

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2017, 11:29:36 PM »

Good, I might as well ask since I need to get the diodes sorted out. :)
Wait!  False alarm!  I misread a marking on the board.  That cap is actually 220 picofarads.  Ceramic is fine for that.  So you can follow along, I saw "In" labeled on the board and mistakenly interpreted it as "1n", and since it was right next to that cap....

Anyway, a bit about ceramic caps:
For values in the pF range, ceramic caps are OK.  Not all ceramic caps are equal, but to generalize the potential problems with using ceramic caps for larger values, the capacitance value can vary dramatically with voltage and temperature, and they can be microphonic (if you tap on them, you'll hear a bit of the tap in your audio output).  Film caps are better in this regard for audio circuits
  Personally, I don't care what kind of film it is (polyester and polystyrene are common), but you may get different answers from others.  Entire wars (well, extremely nonviolent ones) are fought over a few topics:
1. Proper grounding techniques
2. Which capacitors are the best
3. Whether vintage is better than modern
4. Whether analog is better than digital
5. Whether vacuum tubes are better than solid state transistors
6. Whether germanium is better than silicon

This is the part where someone will jokingly chime in on what is "clearly" the best answer to one of those.  :icon_razz:

« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 11:54:57 PM by EBK »
  • SUPPORTER
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Timanator

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2017, 08:29:01 AM »
Man EBK you should start a Jedi academy on electronics. If anything it would be dramatically entertaining.

The resistors are removed from the board, thankfully I had some room to not burn the double sided tape legs. Contacted GGG, now waiting on the Diodes they are sending out today.

EBK

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2017, 10:19:09 AM »
There are many wiser and funnier people that frequent this site, but you probably should start posting future questions to the main board (Building your own stomp box) to better get their attention. 
  • SUPPORTER