Tonepad Boss Ds1 Problem

Started by tvjoda, May 26, 2017, 11:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tvjoda

Hello, I make the ds1 and it sounds good but with very little distortion, the gain potentiometer from 0 to 8 does not make distortion and from 8 to 10 it does, but it seems an overdrive more than a distortion, is this the real behavior?

need help please, i can send values from components, pictures, audios, you name it,

thanks

Agung Kurniawan

what value do you use for gain pot? 100k?
did this is your first time building a guitar effect?
Multiple gain stage followed by some active EQ is delicious.

tvjoda

Yes I am using a 100k B pot and ,no is not my first pedal, I make the rebote delay 2.5 and the tubescreamer

robthequiet

Hello and welcome,

Did you build the transistor version or the op amp version?

tvjoda

I choose The tl072 versiĆ³n Here is a picture off The board

Thanks guys

Cozybuilder

It looks like there might be a couple of solder bridges. Use your magnifying glass and verify, and correct if there are.
Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

tvjoda

The picture does not have good Quality, I double check check that and whit the tester, I think the tracks are fine, but i am going to check again, thanks

tvjoda

I AM thinking to start all Over, does anyone try this PCB?

robthequiet

The problem may not be so big to try starting over. What I would check is that the resistors are the correct value, for example, 4.7K not 470ohms, or something like that. If you are only having trouble with the distortion boost in a kit like this, but the kit is working OK otherwise, my first guess is a resistor got switched, or maybe a transistor is in backwards.

Is C3 supposed to be empty or have a jumper wire?

ElectricDruid

Quote from: tvjoda on May 27, 2017, 11:32:27 PM
I AM thinking to start all Over, does anyone try this PCB?

Don't give up that easily! There's enough people here who can help you find what's wrong with it. It's usually something simple, although sometimes it can be hard to find.

http://www.tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=78

But "not enough gain" is a fairly simple problem. Given the pdf has two sets of components on the same page and no simple schematic (instead, you have to "paste in" a piece to 8 awkwardly arranged connections) I can see that errors would be highly likely.

Looking at your image, it looks like you've got a link in place for R1, where the parts list says it should be empty.  You've also got a link for C3, also marked as empty. Is this right?

I'd go through the parts in detail and check each one - a bit tedious, but you'll find the mistake, and then you'll be up and running!

HTH,
Tom

tvjoda

Thank you Tom Ford giving me hope ,is true I thinking the board looks fine, about the r1 and c3 I removed the links but still doing the same overdrive

Thank you again all people, i can make it with your help

I AM not sure about the transitors , could be a bad
transistor?

ElectricDruid

It *could* be a bad transistor, or it could be in back-to-front, as suggested above.

Can you take a sharper/larger photo of the board so we can take a proper look?

Tom

tvjoda

Yes sure, please let me know if this photos are good
About the transistors orientation I followed the instrucctions from the draw in the schematic

If they are backwards is posible that it sound but with less distortion?

graemestrat

Hello,

On the rear view of your pcb on the trace that runs around the edge of the board, in the corner, there is a wire poking through this trace that is not soldered.
You might want to check what that is?

ElectricDruid

I had a look around and I couldn't see any component values that didn't look right. There's a couple I can't see on the photo, but it all looks pretty good from that point of view.

About the only thing that made a little flag go up was that you've got a green and a yellow wire bring the input onto the board. And the *yellow* wire is the ground. I'd have expected the green, and then I'd have wired it up like that at the other end and it wouldn't have worked.

Have you checked the off-board stuff? Wiring ok? right pots in the right places? (using the tone control for gain by mistake would reduce gain).

Did you use the specified 2N5088 transistors? If not, they might not have the same CBE pinout.

Have you got an audio probe? I think you might need to start tracing the signal through the circuit to find out how far it gets.

HTH,
Tom

tvjoda

Hello , yes is true, i use the yellow for the ground and the green for the input, they are connected right and the colors are wrong but it just the color
about the transistor yes i used the 2n5088.
I tested the signal and I am getting 9 volts where it should be, not sure how to keep going, could be a wrong value on capacitor or a resistence, but I checked like 20 times and I dont see the error
I am thinking that maybe the circuit is sounding as it have to be, is it good if I upload a video showing the effect how it sound?
does anyone has a video on how should sounded the tonepad ds1 with the tl072?

MrStab

hi tvjoda,

if the problem isn't earlier in the signal path, like the transistors or something, then maybe the problem is with the gain stage. does the Distortion pot measure the expected resistance as you turn it? maybe the first 80% of the rotation is damaged, or maybe there's a problem with the 470n capacitor (C8).

other areas to check are maybe R11, R13 and C7 (http://cdn.tonegeek.com/wp-content/uploads/Boss-DS-1-schematic.png). Maybe R40, too.

you could also try reducing R13 to 2k2 to see if you just prefer more distortion than the DS-1 has available. if you do this, you'll have to raise C8 to 1u for the same 72Hz response.
Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.

tvjoda

Hello Mr stab, thanks for The reply I try with a new port and i used The tester to measure and The pots are looking good, i AM not sure what value change
I AM using this schemactic

tvjoda

What could happen if I turned the transistors?

robthequiet

Best just to make sure they are in correctly.