Tonepad Boss Ds1 Problem

Started by tvjoda, May 26, 2017, 11:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tvjoda

Hey guys, I changed the R4, C1, C4 and C5 for the values from the other list 7a7136p and is good, the sound is much better , less noise, more distortion but I feel like it could have more distortion at level 100, does anybody knows if i can make the Kelley mod to the tonepad version?

robthequiet

Excellent!  :icon_biggrin:

If you want to mod the pedal, you need to find a schematic or list of parts to change, probably both. The DS-1 is a very popular pedal to mod., so there are quite a few options. There is a build report on Tonepad by a builder called Solderman that translates the Keeley mod into the Tonepad layout, you might want to start there. There is also an article in Premiere Guitar
that would be good reading. You have to be able to match the part numbers from the original box to the Tonepad layout, as the Solderman fellow has done.

Do you just want gain or do you want to change the tone?

tvjoda

More gain, I started to change some resistors and capacitor values, but I think it will not have the gain from the original ds1, so I will leave it like that and start a new pedal

thanks for all

robthequiet

Glad to help if I can be of help. Maybe consider a Rat or a Big Muff?

tvjoda

I Was thinking in bsiab2, now i want a súper high
gain
Thanks for your help brother
Greetings from argentina

tvjoda

Finally disarm the tonepad pedal, I seted another scheme and works perfect, very similar to the original and you can add the kelly mod, I recommend the true-by-pass version from this scheme before the tonepad

here is the link
thanks
http://www.diystompboxes.com/DIYFiles/up/Build_Your_Own_DS-1_Distortion.pdf

sertan

Had the same problem, spent hours on it, applied some of the changes you did and solderman recommended in tonepad build notes .

In the end solved it by changing the feedback resistor (R3) of Q2 to a higher value. Making it 470k instead of 100K immediately increased the voltage of the transistor from 0.2 to 4.5V and distortion started working as expected. So if transistor stops doing its work, increase this resistor.

Now I am having another problem with final clipping not working anymore... It used to clip a lot and leds were burning when doing so, now suddenly it has stopped clipping completely, no change occurs.. Not sure it is any of the changes I introduced to fix the Q2 transistor bias problem.

iainpunk

welcome to the forum,

its probably not that changed resistor, since it doesn't really interact with the diodes. do you have pictures of your board, the problem might become visible to experienced eyes.

does it put out sound like its supposed to?
if not, post the voltages on all the IC pins.

cheers, Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers