faux bass preamp?

Started by CthulhuPlaysBass, May 27, 2017, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CthulhuPlaysBass

Hello all. I am new to this site and I am brand new to building pedals.  I admit the first thing I'm thinking about is probably too ambitious - a 3-in-1 pedal combining a parametric EQ, a multiband compressor, and an bass overdrive. However I will be using kits so I'm hoping that makes this project a little easier. I have been doing some research on the interweb to see if anyone else is doing this. And though lots of people are buliding their own multieffects, they aren't doing what I want to see, which essentially is the MXR M80 bass preamp. I own this pedal and its great but I want to make it my own.
https://www.jimdunlop.com/product/m80-7-10137-01975-1.do  (i know it doesn't compress but im killing birds with stones here)

Links to kits as follows...

https://buildyourownclone.com/collections/fx-kits/products/paraeq

https://buildyourownclone.com/collections/fx-kits/products/parametric-multi-band-compressor

https://buildyourownclone.com/collections/fx-kits/products/bassoverdrive

...Don't get me wrong, I'm going to practice on a a few single effects to get the hang of how these things work. I'm not just going to jump in with both feet with out testing the waters. But my goal is to build the faux bass preamp. With that said I'm asking for advice, tips, pointers, what have you. My vision of these three pedals coming together is Bass Guitar in > EQ > Compressor > Bass OD > out to Amplifier. It involves a walnut enclosure with chrome knobs and a featureless face - very clean and classy . I want to replace the footswitches for the EQ and the Compressor with toggle switches to keep them defaulted to "always on" with the remaining footswitch in place for the Bass OD so call that into existence as needed. 
My first questions are: 1) what is the difference between "parallel and in series" when talking about wiring together? I assume that i would simply wire them from one to the next where the jacks would normally be to create a sort of permanent patch cable.  2)powering all three? I was thinking of an internal daisy-chain connected to the 9volt outs included in the kits and power that to a OneSpot or similar product.
I know i will have more questions as I go, but there it is, that's my grand scheme. I welcome all feedback, even if its to berate me for not knowing my shit. Thank you.

antonis

Quote from: CthulhuPlaysBass on May 27, 2017, 06:28:36 PM
1) what is the difference between "parallel and in series" when talking about wiring together? I assume that i would simply wire them from one to the next where the jacks would normally be to create a sort of permanent patch cable.
When talking about effects, "parallel" means BOTH effects outputs meet in a "common" point (e.g. Amp input) with sometimes a blend pot (or circuit..)
In your case, I presume you only need to decide about effects arrangement (which goes after which) and wire accordingly their individual On/Bypass switches..

2)powering all three? I was thinking of an internal daisy-chain connected to the 9volt outs included in the kits and power that to a OneSpot or similar product.
<9volt outs>
You probably mean 9V INPUTS..  :icon_wink:
You can make individual PS jacks powered either from individual Power Supplies or from a common one with daisy-chain wiring..
You also can power them from a single PS (of sufficient capability for their total current consumption) with internal 9V connections and a RC filter with a diode for reverse connection protection..

P.S.
IMHO, Compressor should be placed in front of EQ & OD but that's stricly matter of taste.. :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

CthulhuPlaysBass

thanks for the clarifications! yeah i was on the fence really about order. i know OD would be last in line but was unsure of EQ and Comp. Thanks again.

antonis

Quote from: antonis on May 31, 2017, 06:09:57 AM
1) what is the difference between "parallel and in series" when talking about wiring together? I assume that i would simply wire them from one to the next where the jacks would normally be to create a sort of permanent patch cable.
When talking about effects, "parallel" means BOTH effects outputs meet in a "common" point (e.g. Amp input) with sometimes a blend pot (or circuit..)
In your case, I presume you only need to decide about effects arrangement (which goes after which) and wire accordingly their individual On/Bypass switches..

2)powering all three? I was thinking of an internal daisy-chain connected to the 9volt outs included in the kits and power that to a OneSpot or similar product.
<9volt outs>
You probably mean 9V INPUTS..  :icon_wink:
You can make individual PS jacks powered either from individual Power Supplies or from a common one with daisy-chain wiring..
You also can power them from a single PS (of sufficient capability for their total current consumption) with internal 9V connections and a RC filter with a diode for reverse connection protection..

P.S.
IMHO, Compressor should be placed in front of EQ & OD but that's strictly matter of taste.. :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..